Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RiverChase houseboats?

Question RiverChase houseboats?

Hello all,

Wife and I are looking at houseboats in central Mississippi. There is a Riverchase 16x70 for sale locally. I cannot find any info on manufacturer. From discussions at the doc it appears it was a company that did custom builds. This one was special ordered. 2 Bed, one full bath and aluminum hull. 2 5.7 mercruisers for power.

Anyone know where I can find info on Riverchase? Looking for details on buuild methods, quality etc...

Thanks!

I have never hard of them. There are a very few out there for sale. They look like any other houseboat from that era. Back then - in the 1990s - there were quite a few houseboat manufacturers that popped up and went away in just a few years.

I am seeing the same thing. The person who had this boat built is a local boat dealer It is all aluminum from what I can tell so far. Windows that don't open (less chance of leak I am told), twin 5.7l motors. I am going by to find out more info from the original owner if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by easttnboater View Post
    I have never hard of them. There are a very few out there for sale. They look like any other houseboat from that era. Back then - in the 1990s - there were quite a few houseboat manufacturers that popped up and went away in just a few years.

Unless you are buying a Thoroughbred or a Stardust, they are all pretty much orphans these days. They were all pretty much made the same way using the same construction techniques and parts. Non-opening windows is a little weird.

Thanks! Is there somewhere that standard build info is located? Aluminum studs or wood? Types of insulation etc...

On the windows I was told they picked the non opening windows since the ones that open seem to leak more often. Not sure if true or not.

Could be some advantage to that. Sealed windows won't be forgotten and left open for weeks, either.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

I have not seen any standard build info. Most aluminum hulled houseboats were built pretty much the same. You should look at several and you will see what I mean.

I have owned houseboats for over thirty years. I have had plenty of windows leak, but not because they were operational vs non-operational windows. All of the leaks that I have had were from around the perimeter of the window. You can actually tighten the mounting screws/bolts on most of the windows.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    My memory tells me that there were about 10 of these built before the company went under. We owned 7 houseboats over 50 years. Non opening windows would not be a problem for me. We never opened the windows as all our boats were air conditioned. Leaks from the slider tracks were always a PITA

OHB
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

I've never had a boat that the windows didn't open and never a leak. we seldom use our air,we open all the windows and let the fresh air that's blowing up river keep the boat fresh and cool. now, I do admit we run the air at night but very seldom during the day.i personally would not have a boat with windows that didn't open but its all personal choice.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

+ Reply to Thread