Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacing waste holding tank

Replacing waste holding tank

So, sprung a leak in the bottom of my waste tank last summer. Was able to patch with some epoxy but it's a bit over 20 years old and I have a feeling if the hole was that big it simply needs to be replaced?

I have a 1995 LakeView Yacht. The holding tank is directly under the toilet for a straight drop. Then a hose that runs to the stern deck for pump outs. I haven't been out the to take any measurements with the best way to get a new tank in. I'm going to guess teh front hatch will be the easiest as it's a bit bigger.

Looking for ideas or experience on replacing tanks. The current tank is aluminum and assume I will have to cut it into pieces to get it out.

Not sure how to measure what will fit. I will know what will fit through the hatch but it still would have to turn the corner (depth). Then thoughts on using 2 smaller tanks but connect them? Few connections the better though.

Thoughts, ideas, advice? Thanks

First, you need to use cardboard to mock up what size of tank you can get in there. Take some measurements, eye ball the hatch and the corners, mock it up out of cardboard, test fit it, repeat as necessary. Then you need to see if a standard size exists that is close enough - if not, then you are looking at a custom tank. You also need to pay attention to the inlet and outlet positions. Some of the newer tanks have the outlet on the top of the tank with a diptube that runs to the bottom.

You will probably have to cut your existing tank into pieces to get it out. It may have baffles inside it which will make the cuts much more fun. I suggest pumping the tank, filling it with water and dish soap, and repeating until what comes out is acceptable to you. You will get some of it on you. I suggest a tyvek suit and goggles.

Plumbing the new tank will be the easiest part of the job.

Not familiar with that boat but would it be easier to cut a hole in the deck near the tank, and close it up when done? Just a thought.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

I opened the deck of the houseboat to completely access the failed holding tank.
    At that time I could measure it, and look at increasing capacity.
    Then ordered a new plastic tank, I think it took about two weeks to arrive.
    And then installed it.

can you use a purasan instead?
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

If he is looking to renovate his bathroom at the same time, then ripping up the floor would be faster.

Ewwwww. I don't envy you that job. Think of the wine-cellar you could put there instead. (still happy with my no-hold solution.)

the good news is it was pumped out last fall and has been sitting dry dock all winter. all our boats get pulled. so, there won't be a "mess" so to speak. It will all be dry and gross. I am going to have our marina look at the options. Seems simple but I think much more involved than I want to do. Hoping I don't have to cut floors. I have a pretty big hatch in the front. tank may not be as big as the current tank but not sure I could get a much bigger tank in there if I took the whole bathroom floor out. the hatch in front is at least that big.

+ Reply to Thread