AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about Houseboats Hull design

Threaded View

Question about Houseboats Hull design

Just a quick question: Which hull design would be more efficient and practical for a Houseboat? A "Barge" style hull, a Pontoon, or a Catamaran hull? An acquaintance of mine and I were discussing this a few days ago and we were to the point (since neither of us are Marine Engineers) of arguing it out using hypothetical situations (BIG water capable, fuel efficiency, load carrying capable, speed). He had an old houseboat for a while built on Aluminum Pontoon Logs but could not handle anything more than a slight chop without water splashing onto the deck. He kept it on Lake Hartwell for a long time and it finally sunk during a heavy thunder storm. He was going to replace it with a "Barge" style hull houseboat (didn't say the size) but was afraid it would cost too much to run. So, what would be the ideal hull type for a houseboat that could handle cruising open water on not so ideal days?

What do you consider "open water"? Hartwell is an inland lake. There is no true houseboat design that will be comfortable in anything other than light chop.

Quote Originally Posted by easttnboater View Post
    What do you consider "open water"? Hartwell is an inland lake. There is no true houseboat design that will be comfortable in anything other than light chop.
    I can think of a few, Pluckybaum, Montecello River Yachts, Bluewaters, Boatels & some Whitcrafts.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller Tyme View Post
    I can think of a few, Pluckybaum, Montecello River Yachts, Bluewaters, Boatels & some Whitcrafts.

It depends on what he is talking about. I took it as lake style boats - hence the question about "big water".

I got caught in 4's to 5's in tropical winds of 45+ mph, in my 36' Gibson.
    I was rough going but we survived the night.

At that time I wished I had a Bluewater

I've had 3 pontoon houseboats and 2 gibsons. the pontoons were pretty much bullet proof.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Okay, big water, open water, LARGE lakes that have no wind protection and capable of building up 4-6 foot waves in a hurry. I have been on the Mississippi River and have been "assaulted" by 4-5 foot waves when the wind and current opposed each other (not to be confused with Pushboats/Barges wakes). Also would possibly doing some open water coastal cruising down through Florida, possible jumping over to the Bahamas, down through the Florida Keys and back up the West cost of Florida. Having lived in the Florida Keys for a number of years, I have seen conventional HB's (Flat bottomed barge style hulls) running the inside passage where the water averaged 4-6 foot deep and much calmer wave action. I have also helped tow more than one off a sandbar or two. I worked with a couple that maintained a HB in Key Largo that was based on a tri-toon design. While comfortable for living purposes, they both had the complaint that it was a noisy boat when the waves slapped the pontoons and did not have the storage space they really wanted, nor did it really have the freeboard that allowed them to go out on anything but the calmest days. I'd also be looking at inboard Diesel Power as opposed to a Gas motor(s) for more economical cruising. 10-15 knot cruise speed would be perfect. Coming back up onto the mainland (like up the Tim-Tom into the larger rivers and lakes), the draft would not matter as much, I still would prefer something that is more "seaworthy". So, just my thoughts on a possible "new" design of houseboat since I can not find anything like that commercially available already (or are they?).

See post #3. Those will probably get you everything other than crossing over to the Bahamas.

Bluewater Houseboat

Bluewater.jpg

+ Reply to Thread