Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Question about Houseboats Hull design

I know that there have been some folks that took a Bluewater Yacht across the Gulf Stream, but only in very calm conditions. I do not think you would want to be in one with 5' following seas - the freeboard is just too low.

There was a man that had a BW 55 here for a while. Had twin Crusader gas engines and ate him alive in fuel. He finally sold it to an outfit down in Florida that came and got it. When they "hoisted" it out of the water, one of the prop shafts came right out. It was a nice looking vessel though and I think it is still down in Ft Lauderdale (it's the last place I saw it anyway).

We have a good bit of freeboard, some 3 feet, on our homemade catamaran pontoons. That said, it's a very rough ride on the notorious Albemarle Sound when we suddenly have 20mph wind blow up, a fetch of 40 miles, and hello, what's this, 3-foot beam seas? Oooof. One time we ended up tacking all the way home, at 45 degrees to the waves. Nope. Not going to take this crate to sea.

Hmmm, I would have thought that the "ride" would have been a bit smoother. I have been out on Cat Hull's a good bit and found that they did not rock and roll like a mono hull. I have been out on not so nice days on a Pontoon Boat also and found that a noisy, bouncy ride. I guess it all comes down to how the hulls are shaped, the width/length of the whole boat. I have looked around at some hull designs on several sites that people have come up with for open water cruising with the House Boat upper and Ocean Capable Cat hull to ride it on. There some examples that seemed to work well for them. Look on YouTube and you can find them. IF I was a younger man, had the time and money, I think I could build something that would do the trick. Still always like to "dream".

Catamarans can be WORSE than monohulls. In many cases they have TOO MUCH stability, making for a quick, uncomfortable roll as the hull attempts to "follow" the contour of the water.

Adding weight aloft MAY help. Invite a whole bunch of friends (you bring the beer) and take them for a ride on a choppy day.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

+ Reply to Thread