Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone Boating this year?

Finally got the big boat out for a ride, been out on the toon several times but the river gods have been holding the river too high to clear the bridges until this weekend.
    Attached Images

we have decided after many years of boating its time to hang it up and list our boat and do some traveling.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

My "old" houseboat is under contract. Supposed to close this Thursday.

I am no longer House Boating.
    Doing it allot cheaper these days, on a 17 Boston Whaler with a 115, Dual Console.
    I keep it on the driveway.
    NO wet slip fees, NO pumps to fail, NO bottom job, NO monthly bottom cleaning (Salt water ya know).
    Life is easier.

2.4 mikes to the boat ramp, and I am zipping around at 35 MPH.
    We miss the House Boat, but not all the work / maintenance that goes with it.

I know the feeling. The older we (and the boats) get, the harder it is to justify the hassle and expense.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

Quote Originally Posted by Stmbtwle View Post
    I know the feeling. The older we (and the boats) get, the harder it is to justify the hassle and expense.
    that's why were finally selling.i'll be 70 next month and it gets harder every year to keep the boat in the shape I want it in.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Yeah... I'm 72 and the boat is over 40. It's just not the fun it used to be.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

How sad to see people giving it up. We know the feeling. It's lovely for an afternoon excursion or even a weekend from time to time, ever so relaxing, but we haven't done the long-distance travel we expected to... in order to venture out into the Albemarle Sound, we find that winds under 10 knots make for a much more comfortable trip. Temps under 97 are also a good thing. We have yet to finish the window trim and ceiling panels... but the whole exterior needs to be painted now, having survived more than ten years of neglect. The Lotus Eater is still a cute conversation piece, though, and still an in-demand guest cottage right in our back yard. Surprising how many visitors opt to stay out there, when there's perfectly good guest space- with flush toilet, wifi and a/c inside.
    Someday we may hire Paco and his amigos to give it a good painting, and motor it up the Chesapeake Bay, and thence to the Potomac River, rent dock space at the Capitol Yacht Club, and hire it out as an AirBnB to Washington DC visitors or a longer-term rental to a newly-minted congress critter. Tiny houses are much in vogue, and this one certainly qualifies. It's a thought... but it'll probably continue to rock at our own dock forever, offering overflow guest space and an excuse for a three-hour cruise.
    Our son promises his dad a Viking funeral, offering to motor it out to sea and set fire to it, in lieu of embalming, etc. I wasn't consulted...

Engine on my Sea Ray is dead dead dead. Looking for new engine (actually a good, running used engine. New new too expensive) Been fishing a couple of times but that's it. Doing odd jobs on the boat that I have been putting off so getting things done.

I lost my best very friend and other half of 20 years on March 12th. She wasn't well at the time but no one was suggesting she may expire from her condition either. Anyway shortly after wood I was also experiencing some health issues that I put off figuring it was something time would heal on it's own. Well I guess I was big time wrong on that count simply because on May 13th I was found just faintly breathing on the basement floor. Nobody knows how long I had laid there and I was only really found because of my dog. She had went off visiting a lot of my neighbors to the point where one of them came to see me about her and found me laying almost dead laying on the floor.

Now here it is almost the middle of July and I'm still a long way from regaining my strength back, and it's looking like long progressive road forward yet for me and I can't see my boat even getting wet this boating season. First loosing her then loosing my own health really makes for valuable memories of times I shared with my Wife, family, and friends on the water.
    Respect Our Recreational Resources
    Leaving Only "Footprints of your Passing"

Boating on the Muskingum River
    1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
    2007 90 hp. Yamaha

+ Reply to Thread