Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Houseboat Disposal

Houseboat Disposal

OK, I've had this boat for 25 years and now the transom is rotting out. It's a 1971 35' SilverQueen with the Chrysler 318 and Dana outdrive and would cost more than it's worth to fix. It sits in the water year round, doesn't leak, but water gets in over the winter (I think the hatch drains freeze and the water spills into the bilge, hence the rotten transom.

My question is...how do you dispose of a 35' fiberglass houseboat when it reaches "end of life"?

There are three basic options:

1. Sell it to someone that does not know any better and let it be their problem.
    2. Sink it.
    3. Pull it and pay someone to chop it up and dispose of it properly.

Obviously options 1 and 2 are not what you should do.

There is a boat a lot like yours on South Holston lake that someone just ran up on shore and abandoned. The problem is that they did not strip it of all identifying marks and it has been traced back to them.

Pull it and pay someone to chop it up and dispose of it properly, which is costly to do so.

I would sell it, for like $500.

If I were to sell it I'd definitely disclose what I knew to be wrong with it. My conscience wouldn't allow otherwise. I would also not "intentionally" sink it...however, if....

I have no way of pulling it as I don't have a trailer. I wonder what it would cost to have someone pull and scrap it. I'm sure there are parts of it that are salvageable like the motor and outdrive.

Agree with Tom. There are people out there who can/will repair it and get many more years out of it, if the price is right.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

If it sinks, then you are potentially responsible for raising it and any environmental issues it causes - the different entities - Corps of Engineers, TVA, CG, ... - can handle it differently.

If you sell it, then make sure you get a notarized bill of sale that states emphatically that it is being sold as-is, where is with NO warranties.

Quote Originally Posted by capnlazy View Post
    I wonder what it would cost to have someone pull and scrap it. I'm sure there are parts of it that are salvageable like the motor and outdrive.
    Not sure what body of water you are on, a Haul Out by means a a Travel Lift costs $450 here.
    Then dump fees, and labor to chop it up. I would say $2000 to $2500 should get the job done.

Sell it, with full disclosure.

You might try one of the boat donation sites on E-bay

Give it away to a good home. There is always someone with big dreams that will try to fix it.

+ Reply to Thread