Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: more engine headaches

more engine headaches

Finally had a weekend for the boat. The starboard engine didn't want to start but when it did the water pump was squealing like a pig. I fought with it and finally changed out the impellers and that took care of it. Now the engine wont idle. I belive it is fuel related. Either water in the gas or a clogged filter. It runs rough and stalls at idle but with throttle it seems fine.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Pull the carb top and take a look. If you havent pumped the bottom of your fuel tanks you could of picked up a slug of crap when you accelerated and the bow came up. Fuel pick up is about an inch off the bottom and the crud is sitting there waiting to getcha.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Just an update. Our 19ft open bow is now doing exactly the same thing. I love boating.

do you fill them both up at your marina? if so,its water.its happening here as well, the river has been so high they haven't bought any new gas and are using last years gas which has water in it from just sitting. i'm glad I have racor fuel seperators,but as it stands I wont need any gas this year. were still up 3 feet and a tree fell and cut our docks in half....yes, we also love boating !!!!
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

I think it is a bit of both water and gunk. Watching over top of the carb when it is running, the one jet just drips fuel into the carb. There isn't a fine mist of gas, just large drops. I am going to start changing out all the filters and hope that clears it. If not I think I might need a rebuild of that carb.

As for the little boat, I can't even get it to start now. It will turn over, but I am not getting any spark. As I am pretty unfamiliar with this engine system and what all makes it run, I found a fuel/water seperator on it. I am going to attempt to change that and see how it does. From there I will start pulling plugs to see how they look.

Quote Originally Posted by 42gibson View Post
    do you fill them both up at your marina? if so,its water.its happening here as well, the river has been so high they haven't bought any new gas and are using last years gas which has water in it from just sitting. i'm glad I have racor fuel seperators,but as it stands I wont need any gas this year. were still up 3 feet and a tree fell and cut our docks in half....yes, we also love boating !!!!

This year has been just a pain in the butt for boating. I haven't had much time to even be on the boat, but pretty much 95% of my time on it so far has been wrenching on it. Now 2 are broke and it seems like a similar issue. I am betting on water in the gas.

Also, even though I used Stabil this gas in both boats is from last year. Our dock buys Ethanol free, however with my large tanks I can guarantee that I still had some ethanol left swimming around.

Boating is truly karma at its finest. When taking the open bow out yesterday, it started fine and ran great. I said to my wife, "At least we have this boat that works great". Once I powered down a couple miles down river it started running like crap. Go figure.

As for the houseboat, I created a list of all the things that I wanted to do on the boat this fall. Replacing both gas tanks were on that list. I then started to think about it and said, "I haven't had any problems with them, why worry about it". Well, the ghosts of the boat got their hopes up for new gas tanks and are going to make me do it. Looks like that floor will be ripped up after all.

Quote Originally Posted by JTAlberts View Post
    Boating is truly karma at its finest. When taking the open bow out yesterday, it started fine and ran great. I said to my wife, "At least we have this boat that works great". Once I powered down a couple miles down river it started running like crap. Go figure.

As for the houseboat, I created a list of all the things that I wanted to do on the boat this fall. Replacing both gas tanks were on that list. I then started to think about it and said, "I haven't had any problems with them, why worry about it". Well, the ghosts of the boat got their hopes up for new gas tanks and are going to make me do it. Looks like that floor will be ripped up after all.
    can you get a hose to the rear of the tank? if you can,pump some gas out and check for water or phase separation. you know as long as that boat sat you more than likely have gunk in the tank. if their not leaking why replace them? just a thought.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Quote Originally Posted by 42gibson View Post
    can you get a hose to the rear of the tank? if you can,pump some gas out and check for water or phase separation. you know as long as that boat sat you more than likely have gunk in the tank. if their not leaking why replace them? just a thought.
    I know they are the original tanks. I know they don't leak. I was going to replace them as we were going to redo some of the interior. I figured it was as good a time as any to do it. I am able to get to one of the fuel sending units through an access in the floor. I will try and take it off and see what is there.

So I went down to the runabout last night and it fired right up. Ran really well. I let it run for about 20 minutes and then shut it down to adjust the throttle cable as I had it to tight. It wouldn't start up after that. It would just turn over and over. I emptied the fuel water separator, as I didn't have a replacement on hand. My dumbass dumped it into a plastic cup thinking that would be fine to let it separate in. Well that test quickly went out the window when the cup started to dissolve from the gas. Since I let the boat sit and it started up, I plan on running the tank empty this weekend and putting in some new gas to see if that resolves it.
    Last edited by JTAlberts; 07-31-2013 at 07:10 AM.

+ Reply to Thread