Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: more engine headaches

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Your gas pick up is an inch off the bottom of the tank. Get a 7 dollar hand pump from Walmart and pump the bottom of the tank where the crap sets. A piece of 3/8 copper tubing fits the suction tube on the hand pump and you can "steer" it any place inside the tank.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Well, I finally got the fuel water separator filter off. Below is a picture of my gas. This was poured into a shiny metal container.

Before it got cloudy, there were a lot of chunks of rust in it. You can see it settled on the bottom. On the second pour, it came out more yellow. It had the coloring of a first morning pee. So either my gas is just a mess or someone is using my gas tank as a urinal.

The runabouts gas wasn't bad. That boat has me totally stumped. It almost acts like an electrical problem as well. After shutting down the engine, I went to restart it. I lost everything electrical. I would take the negative terminals off and it would almost reset itself.
    Last edited by JTAlberts; 08-01-2013 at 08:01 PM.

Took off the fuel sender. All the gas is orange. The tank looks to be full of rust chips as well. It is also 3/4s full.

So, are your fuel tanks made from steel or is this rust being pumped into the tanks with the gas? I believe my tanks are aluminum, so hopefully I won't experience this issue. I don't believe my boat has fuel seperators, which kinda scares me. I don't even think it has fuel filters for that matter either. Mine has outboards, so it's a different setup than everyone else here. I think when I ge around to replacing the fuel lines this winter, I'll install a giant in-line fuel filter as well. Can't believe it didn't come with this!
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

The tanks are steel. They are the original tanks so they are 42 years old. I get my carb rebuild kit tomorrow and hopefully they can get it rebuilt by the end of the week. I'd like to get it back on the boat this weekend.

Your rebuilt carb is not going to survive long on a diet of what is in that can. I am assuming that you are going to replace your tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by easttnboater View Post
    Your rebuilt carb is not going to survive long on a diet of what is in that can. I am assuming that you are going to replace your tanks.
    Yup. I am hoping to just get that engine running for the remainder of the year. I am going to pull the tanks this off season. I am going to get it all pumped out when I get the time.

Time is the hardest part right now. Baby #1 is due any time and we are also renovating a house.

I have 6 year old and 5 year old boys. Nothing puts a damper on weekend projects like having the kids aboard! I'm constantly breaking up fights and trying to keep them entertained so they don't break anything. Get the work done before your newborn arrives!
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

Quote Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
    I have 6 year old and 5 year old boys. Nothing puts a damper on weekend projects like having the kids aboard! I'm constantly breaking up fights and trying to keep them entertained so they don't break anything. Get the work done before your newborn arrives!

I have been trying but lately things just don't work out that way. I hope I can get some things resolved this weekend. The rebuild kit is here today and a mechanic friend is going to help look at the run about. I bought a new ignition coil to see if that will take care of it. I plan burning a lot of gas this weekend from the nasty large tank. I pumped about 3 gallons out so far and then the little red pump broke on me.

+ Reply to Thread