Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: more engine headaches

I don't think you are going to be burning much of the "nasty" gas. I would say that the red pump broke for a reason. i.e. - if you try to run that fuel through your carbs, you will ruin them.

Quote Originally Posted by easttnboater View Post
    I don't think you are going to be burning much of the "nasty" gas. I would say that the red pump broke for a reason. i.e. - if you try to run that fuel through your carbs, you will ruin them.
    I meant after I pump it out. The people that run the marina seem to love a good fire. They are loaning me a barrel to put the gas in and they get to keep all of it.

OK. That makes more sense. Good luck in draining the tanks.

I believe I resolved the issues with our run about. I changed the ignition coil and it seemed to help a little however the hesitation was still there. I removed the distributor cap and cleaned off a lot of corrosion. After that the boat fired right up and all the hesitation was gone. My rpms were dead solid as well. I didn't take it out for a run as there was no one out to tow me back if I had problems but I was not able to reproduce the problem. I am going to take it out tomorrow for the final test. I plan on pumping the houseboat's tanks tomorrow. I hope it goes smooth.
    Last edited by JTAlberts; 08-09-2013 at 01:09 PM.

I just got the carburetor back from the mechanic. He said that he had to soak it for 2 days to get all the crud out of it. There had been water in it for some time now. I need to address the tanks issue as well as the water running straight onto the carburetor from the engine hatch channel overflowing.

Good deal - you are making progress. My hatch channels also overflow, but luckily do not drip directly on the engines. I don't know why it seems that designing a hatch gutter that works is so difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by easttnboater View Post
    Good deal - you are making progress. My hatch channels also overflow, but luckily do not drip directly on the engines. I don't know why it seems that designing a hatch gutter that works is so difficult.

That is what I am amazed at. The other side of the coin is how do they create the hatch and not realize they overflow right on top of the carburetor. I am going to create a couple more drain holes in the gutter to see if that will help the situation. There are currently two big saucers that on top of the air arrestor that deflect the water from the top of the carb. The bad part is it pools on top of my intake manifold. I need to figure something out to stop that from happening as well.

Put the rebuilt carb on and replaced my metal fuel lines with CG approved fuel lines. I hope tp pump out the bad gas this next week.

Well that took a month. Finally got the tank emptied. I am gonna put in about 10 gallons tomorrow to see if the starboard will run. Interestingly enough the port engine died after idling for about 5 minutes and it looks like it is out of gas. OHB, before I tear up the floor to take off this fuel sender, were these tanks ever tied together? I validated that I pumped the starboard engine's tank but it acts like I emptied both. I know you don't know specifically but is that normal or are they separate for each engine?

I discovered that the tanks aren't tied together. Still about 65 gallons in my port engine tank. So the carb isn't getting any gas. It is either the fuel pump, fuel pickup, or I am going to try and prime the water separator. I am ready to get this boat on the hard and gut it. Just a horrible year. Anyone have any guesses as to what else it could be?

+ Reply to Thread