houseboat magazine
Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: House(boat) calls for outboard mx?

House(boat) calls for outboard mx?

We may have a temporary solution in the form of a guy who builds fine fishing boats, but does a little maintenance on the side, but just curious: you who have outboards powering your houseboats, what do you do about engine maintenance and repair? Our boat was build on the water, is not trailerable. Our two big Yamaha 60hp outboards are a little unwieldy for bringing to the shop for oil changes, lower unit lubes, and other things that happen, given enough time. Our local outboard repairman is so busy he doesn't even have to be nice, much less come to our dock. I understand this is the norm, that if you can't bring your motor to the shop and leave it for a month, you are out of luck. These engines have been wonderfully trouble-free, but it's past time to do a little scheduled maintenance.

We have several mobile mechanics here, in Pensacola.

If the motors can be serviced in the tilted up position, you might be able to get a jon boat under them, to catch any spillage / dropped parts etc. I suppose crankcase oil could be pumped out with a drill pump, depending on the engine.

My old straight inboard is suddenly looking a little better.

Hope you're well battened down, Tom, things are about to get exciting up your way. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Stmbtwle; 10-08-2018 at 10:29 PM.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

+ Reply to Thread