Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FYI an Ac OPTIONS

Threaded View

FYI an Ac OPTIONS

Where we HB the Honda 2000 is an added plus that more an more use to supplement there existing systems, inverters an big gens. They are highly dependable a typical wk end use less than 6 gallons

The small 5k btu ac window units now draw less than 5 amps as thus allowing us to run these units, all the while running a full size frigs, fans, TV's / box's etc. and putting a minimum back in the invert batts with out the big gen needed

Now I understand its a not a plug an play deal to use the ac because of the mount issue but there are ways to do it, enjoy the comfort an not do a hard mount I can attest.

I understand some would rather run your central air for a gallon an hour with the big gen, recharge your invert batts and not contend with the above this isn't for you.

key word is OPTION,

We run a Colman 13500 btu power saver off our Yamaha 2400. A twin boat put the same ac unit in and runs it off a Honda 2000. By far the best bang for the $ in ac units. We run 2 of them and all of our electrical needs off a 30 amp service.

Do you guys run these units outside on the deck?
    I know the Hondas are very quiet and often thought about one on the outside chance my 5KW goes down.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

I set ours on the bank, my neighbor sets his on the top deck. We use a drop cord that fits the same receptacle that the dock service feeds.

4 of my dock neighbors are now running these small generators in lieu of running the big gennie and buying a $1K battery bank. The Honda gen runs ~$800 and then they hard wire it into the boat's electrical. They're buying the special free-standing 110V room A/C units that vents to the outside through a large diameter exhaust hose. These units do a fairly decent job of keeping the temp down in the boat, but it won't maintain 70 degrees. They run these systems all day on ~10 gallons of gas, which is MUCH cheaper than running the big 12.5KW gens. I think when my battery bank kicks the bucket in 3 more years, I'll definitely look into this setup instead of dropping another $1K on 8 batteries.

As for placement, they're placing the little generator on the upper deck bow. When they were putting them on the front porch, exhaust was getting trapped in the cabin whenever someone would open the door. This kept setting off everyone's CO2 detectors - quite annoying!
    Last edited by GoVols; 08-05-2013 at 07:37 AM.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

Quote Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
    4 of my dock neighbors are now running these small generators in lieu of running the big gennie and buying a $1K battery bank. The Honda gen runs ~$800 and then they hard wire it into the boat's electrical. They're buying the special free-standing 110V room A/C units that vents to the outside through a large diameter exhaust hose. These units do a fairly decent job of keeping the temp down in the boat, but it won't maintain 70 degrees. They run these systems all day on ~10 gallons of gas, which is MUCH cheaper than running the big 12.5KW gens. I think when my battery bank kicks the bucket in 3 more years, I'll definitely look into this setup instead of dropping another $1K on 8 batteries.

As for placement, they're placing the little generator on the upper deck bow. When they were putting them on the front porch, exhaust was getting trapped in the cabin whenever someone would open the door. This kept setting off everyone's CO2 detectors - quite annoying!
    I tried the free standing ac unit last year but it drew to much current to suit me. Took it back to Sams. Im now using a 5k btu window Ac mini unit, pulling less than 5 amps, less than half of that free standing unit, But the free standing unit is a plug an play set up. Has its good side.

Out of 8 hb's last week tied up together only 2 didnt have Hondas on the bank. We have ours about 30/35 feet from the boat up on the bank. hook to a 6 gallon boat tank will easily last the week end, never refill it. Average about 4 hours run time in the evening then my inverter carry's the boat (no ac while using inverter)....Our July may have had unseaonably cooler days an nights I know Aug is headed that way.

the new new window AC using less than 5 amps is great.

Quote Originally Posted by dalehollow View Post
    ......We have ours about 30/35 feet from the boat up on the bank. ........
    Are you anchored, nosed up on the bank or in a slip when you do this?
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

We have ours sitting on the bank, we tie to the bank when we go out, another note they are quite enough your neighbor wont be bothered by noise or exhaust, these units meet the low db level that lets it run 24 7 ....

+ Reply to Thread