Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whats your tip? heres a good one

Threaded View

Whats your tip? heres a good one

After doing our HB renovation an adding a side by side with ice maker. I decided to purchase 4-5 first alert water detectors. Was very impressed with the sensitivity of the unit's. The actual contacts it uses has to come in direct contact with water to complete the circuit to activate the alarm. (sounds same as a common smoke detector same db).

so its a target related alarm you need the water to activate it, thus the Tip. obviously you will place the lead, where you think the water is likely accumulate, but by placing the leads on a large beach towel etc, to wick it to the lead, you increase your alert time. The reason I put so many units in the boat I just placed them various points in the hull an topside under the sink hot water heater etc.

Now the downside of my alarms, those in units in the hull you need some one handy with good hearing lol .... Any tips you care to share?

I like the towel trick. Can you put the contacts on end of a longer wire? Then you could put it wherever you like.

If the problem is that the alarms aren't loud enough, you could connect a small relay to operate a 12v auto alarm. My system is different, but it uses an alarm that you can hear 100' away from the boat.
    Last edited by Stmbtwle; 09-06-2013 at 05:02 AM.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

Quote Originally Posted by Stmbtwle View Post
    I like the towel trick. Can you put the contacts on end of a longer wire? Then you could put it wherever you like.

If the problem is that the alarms aren't loud enough, you could connect a small relay to operate a 12v auto alarm. My system is different, but it uses an alarm that you can hear 100' away from the boat.
    IM sure a adding wire length is doable, it is very light wire. they come with about 6ft of leads, the carpet or towel wicking will give you a much broader coverage area. I will look into what a relay involves, I would assume once any alarm is heard, if on the dock the main is the first thing shut off. If out the fresh water tank switch ....we all know the various possibilities. Preventing a small leak that eventually saturates the hidden areas is preventable hopefully,
    these units are about 1/2 the size of a typical smoke detector an every bit as loud, 9volt batt.
    Under 20$ each, name brand
    Last edited by dalehollow; 09-06-2013 at 05:45 AM.

I have decided to replace 12 an 110 bulbs and rope lights with LED.....changed over to the fluorescent bulbs a while back, but LEDS I figure will save me big time plus better lighting and longer life. IM sure those facts can be shared by others. Keeping the boat operating off the inverter for longer periods b4, starting that little Honda is well worth, the change.

Quote Originally Posted by dalehollow View Post
    Any tips you care to share?
    Seems like it should work out OK once a person figures out which one is sounding the warning down in the hull.

Anyway it seems it was determined here by some that multiple topic threads are forbidden or no go. See Closed Thread for more information. It does seem that this forum has for the most part effectively died for lack of posting since the new rule went into effect but I guess the majority has spoken, and silence has now bestowed us.
    Respect Our Recreational Resources
    Leaving Only "Footprints of your Passing"

Boating on the Muskingum River
    1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
    2007 90 hp. Yamaha

+ Reply to Thread