AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need TV antenna advice

Threaded View

Need TV antenna advice

My boat was built in í05 as an í06 model, so a lot of the TV equipment on it is not exactly cutting edge stuff. It came with a Shakespeare brand disk-looking TV antenna thatís mounted up on the side of the arch. When weíre docked, I use our satellite system thatís attached to the dock itself, but we must use the antenna when away from the dock. Even since we bought it though, the TV signal from the antenna has been pretty poor and very finicky. So, I finally got around to troubleshooting the reception issue this last weekend.

I figured the antenna needed to be elevated more above the arch b/c it really just sits flush with the top. I unbolted it and readied my makeshift pole extension that was comprised of a broom handle and duct tape. I also needed to extend the cable wire to its new height, so I dug through the boat to find another cable wire. While searching, I found a simple digital TV antenna I bought 2 years ago before we got the satellite. I hooked it up to the cable lead-in instead of the Shakespeare and threw it on top of my party top bimini b/c I ran out of Duct Tape. From the get-go, I got 26 crystal clear channels that never faded out! Best I ever got with that Shakespeare was ~10 and the slightest breeze would cause the picture to break up regularly.

My question to you guys is: is there something wrong with the Shakespeare antenna disk or should I just pitch it and permanently mount this other antenna somehow on my arch?
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

Toss the Shakespeare. They never did work very well.
    1991 Pluckebaum 70'
    13' Boston Whaler, 40hp Yamaha
    10' AB rib, 25hp Suzuki (for sale)

Quote Originally Posted by boatlover View Post
    Toss the Shakespeare. They never did work very well.
    +1 The Shakespeares are crap - always were.

I bought a $35 outdoor TV antenna at Radio Shack and it works great. In the Houston, Tx area I pick up over 100 broadcast channels very well. On the down side, they are mostly in Spanish, Vietnamese, College Channels and religious station and I don't watch any of those. On the up side we get almost a dozen channels worthwhile - ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, ION and a few more.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat
    1976 Allied 39 Ketch - In process of being sold.
    www.FreeBoatProjects.com

I threw away a Shakespeare and replaced it with a 10$ rabbit ear from walmart.go with the one that works best.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

42, You mentioned before you have satellite on your boat. What dish did you use? Is it HD?

Quote Originally Posted by JTAlberts View Post
    42, You mentioned before you have satellite on your boat. What dish did you use? Is it HD?
    when I put the satellite dish on the 42 it was a khv but it wasn't hd but it did track.it was used and I bought it off e bay for 500$. the one we have on this boat is just a regular directv dish and receiver.the type used on a home.i had a blistering 80$ in the dish and receiver.we may put a self tracker on next year but doubtful.we only watch tv at the dock anyway.if we go somewhere over night,i just spin the dish to get the signal.a 5 min job. if you want hd you can buy a dish and receiver on e-bay cheap and install it yourself.we just have rabbit ears to pickup local channels.
    Last edited by 42gibson; 09-10-2013 at 11:30 AM.
    44 gibson executive
    marietta,ohio

Ultimately, I'd like to get a "Track-it-TV" system for my boat, but the nearly $1K cost is holding me back a bit.

http://www.track-it-tv.com/news.aspx

Bet On Another Thousand

Quote Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
    Ultimately, I'd like to get a "Track-it-TV" system for my boat, but the nearly $1K cost is holding me back a bit.

http://www.track-it-tv.com/news.aspx
    i have a friend who docks behind me and I found him a used trackit tv for 300$ on craigslist and he loves it.
    44 gibson executive
    marietta,ohio

I had a trackit unit (back when it was Follow me Tv) on my old boat. It worked very well but is not a full motion unit. I almost put it on the new boat but mounting was a issue.

Instead I went with a Wingard full motion SD RV antenna. It has been on the boat for 1.5 years with no problems and it was $ 1000.00 cheaper that a KVH. The only thing I had to do was take the cover off and switch a couple dip switches to make it work better for me. Wingard tech support was very helpful.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...na-white/49005
    1991 Pluckebaum 70'
    13' Boston Whaler, 40hp Yamaha
    10' AB rib, 25hp Suzuki (for sale)

Thanks boatlover! I have never seen this thing before. You can find these Wingard full motions for around $900 with free delivery. The dumb Track It TV thing costs nearly the same and it's nowhere near as useful. The Wingard is officially replacing the Track It TV on my X-mas wish list!

Bet On Another Thousand

+ Reply to Thread