Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Winter is nigh

Winter is nigh

Well, the last 2 weekend we were busy with random obligations so it wasn't feasible to take the HB out of the slip. Instead, we took the runabout out and motored around the lake for a while. We threw the anchor out and let the kids go swimming for bit. When I got in, the water was already cold, but you got used to it after a little bit. The next 2 weekends, were going on a cruise to Bermuda, so we wont be back at the HB until the middle of Oct. Im sure the water will be too cold at that point, as the temp is regularily getting down to the 50s now at night. So, its with a very heavy heart that I must start thinking about when I will be winterizing the generator. Where the heck did all the time go?! Luckily, our boat stays in the water year-round, so we'll continue to visit it during the winter.

What's your plans for your boat over the winter?
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

we will be staying on the boat for the next 2 weeks. we normally pull out the 2nd week of November but this year were going to vegas the end of October and I want the boat out and undercover when we get back. the summer was mostly a bust around here,lots of rain and high water.lets hope next year is better.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

I might run out of room to type.

1. Remove generator and get it serviced
    2. Remove transmissions and get them rebuilt
    3. Remove and replace fuel tanks. I am debating on adding a new water tank.
    4. Install all new windows that we purchased last fall
    5. Paint the exterior cabin
    6. Put durabak on the decking
    7. Replumb the entire boat and add a hot water heater
    8. Install the washdown pump
    9. Rewire entire 12 volt and add a new panel
    10. Install new wiring for AC devices and outlets
    11. Organize the storage hatch
    12. Remove the dinette and back bench.

Just a small list that I will probably only get 3 of them done.

What started out as a great summer- got the houseboat out several times between March and the end of June- dwindled down to the worst boating season since 2004. I think we took it out one day right after the 4th, and it hasn't left the dock since. I also fought a fuel-to-the-generator issue that still isn't resolved. Been terrible weather every weekend since I can remember...

I was going to pull the boat in August because we've simply used the thing for 8 nearly trouble-free seasons, and she's in need of a bunch of maintenance. But between my schedule and the water level gettng so low that I can't trailer it out now, the only way out is with a crane. Since it's spent the last 2 winters in the ice, I figure one more won't hurt. We'll pull it in the early spring once the water's come up a couple of feet.

Immediate plans are the basic winterization: drain & pink the engines, same with the fresh water system.

Once out of the water the real fun begins! First up is a complete hull sandblasting and checkup, repairs if necessary (not anticipating anything except a touch of bad rust along the bottom edges) and finish up with coal tar epoxy- Some friends will be doing the sandblasting and any needed repairs, while they're doing that I'll be stripping off the top side so I can lay down a sheet of EPDM rubber, new carpet over that, and freshen up the flybridge- If and when that gets done I want to put in a new ceiling, and new paneling if we can find some paneling we actually like. Seems all there is is bead board and other stuff that's already in the thing--

Not sure how I'm going to pull all this off, considering my work schedule, but we're going to try--
    1988 SkipperLiner 53x14
    1995 Tracker Party Cruiser 32 *for sale*
    2003 Chaparral 260 SSI
    2000 Allegro Bus 40' DP

Frantic,

I know exactly what you mean about work schedule. I am due to be traveling 2 weeks of every month for awhile. I'll have to hurry through it.

Gee guys the water is just fine down here in Key Largo>>

Quote Originally Posted by DitchRider View Post
    Gee guys the water is just fine down here in Key Largo>>
    "cough cough" bite me "cough cough"

Our marina has already pulled a few boats and sounds like mine is scheduled the week of the 7th. I wish they would allow them to stay in longer. I absolutely love being out there this time of year. Was a pain in the arse year though. Started out with fuel pump and water pump problems. got that fixed and everything was great for a month or so and then the bearings in the lower unit crapped out on the starboard side. Put it back in teh water to use it at the dock but have been unable to take it out since mid-August. Might end up being a pretty expensive off-season with the one motor needing to come out to get at one of the bearings. But, am going to have them go slow and anything down there that needs replaced, will get replaced. Going to head out there shortly and try to spend as much time out there as possible over the next 10 day sor so.

On our 'now that the weather isn't so stinkin' hot' to-do list, we plan to: (in no particular order...sigh...)
    1. finish the interior cypress t&g paneling- only a few boards - and maybe half a day left to go. Looks nice! Admittedly, installing window trim not included in that estimate.
    2. put painted 1/4" plywood up inside as a ceiling to cover the overhead insulation. Toyed with the idea of stretching canvas up, but decided at the last minute that the solid material would go faster, and be easier to scrub if need be. Eventually we will cover the seams with cypress battens stained to match the cypress.
    3. finish painting and replacing rotted 2x12 fascia boards around the roof beams that apparently were NOT pressure treated. What a PITA.
    4. repaint the rest of the external woodwork. What's up with that? It's only been eight years.
    5. install propane system, and on-demand water heater. Woohoo! Hot showers, comin' up!
    6. give serious thought to building a real galley. finish closets. OK, maybe those will be 2014's project.
    7. Go out and enjoy some of this glorious October weather... now looking for two or three contiguous days forecast for calm winds during which neither of us has to work. Even in its still-unfinished state, the Lotus Eater has proved to be a popular guest cottage, even without the hot shower. Neighbors who drop by hoping for a drink seem to gravitate out there in preference to our living room. So, it's all good. And best of all, the boatwright still has enough work left to do that he isn't tempted to go out and get into mischief.
    Last edited by Amelia; 09-29-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Just getting the boats and lake house winterized and will be heading to south Florida in 2 weeks.

+ Reply to Thread