houseboat magazine
Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is your lake affected by the shutdown?

Is your lake affected by the shutdown?

Ramps at a couple of popular lakes in our state have been closed due to the government shutdown, causing cancellation of at least one fishing tournament that I know of. The Corps of Engineers runs all the ramps on one of the lakes in this article. I would be an angry S@B if it was a lake I boated on. I'm sure this is happening in every state.

http://www.kentucky.com/2013/10/08/2...e-run-and.html

Haven't had any issues at my Marina, which is surprising. The land is leased from the Army Corps, so that's probaby the reason.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

Lake Powell, along with several national parks like Arches, Zion's, and Natural Bridges, was shut down for about ten days. The State of Utah stepped in and is now running the national parks including Lake Powell. Depending on whom you ask, Utah is paying the money out of state funds or it is loaning money to the feds to do this. It all started when the sheriff and county council of one of the small rural counties that contain Lake Powell threatened to use county sheriffs to remove federal blockades to open the closed areas. The authorities reached the current compromise. My guess is that at least part of the motivation was to avert the spectacle of national guard troops and local county sheriffs crossing swords. Utah is about as red a state as they come and is fiscally conservative so had the funds to do this. I will do my best to not politicize our board here, but am happy to have our lake open in spite of what's going on in Washington.
    Last edited by Endurance; 10-15-2013 at 03:09 PM.

I am on a TVA lake. No change at all.

The Army Corps runs the Pike Island dam, or so I thought. I was curious if it would be closed down but traffic is flowing through without issues.

+ Reply to Thread