Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of adding porch enclosure

Thinking of adding porch enclosure

One of our dock neighbors is having someone come by the dock to quote them an enclosure for their boat. So, for the hell of it, I asked them to go ahead and quote me one as well. I want the cloth to come up to the rail height and then be transparent plastic from there toward the top. I chose to forego the screens to save some cost.

Any advice you guys can give here?

What was your ballpark cost for your enclosure?
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

We removed this from Ditch Rider when we bought her... she was neglected and these weren't salvageable because the eisenglas wasn't top quality.

I would add it back... the wife wouldn't.

Depending on the size, they seem to run around $2,500 for a houseboat in middle Tennessee. If you get one, make sure that you follow the instructions on storing it when you take it down. You have to store it flat - do NOT roll it up or the clear part will take a set and be wavy forever.

I am actually looking at getting my party top on top of my boat enclosed. My stairs to the top go up from the inside.

Sligo is coming by next Tuesday. There's currently 4 different boats on my dock that are interested in getting them to quote something. Hopefully they'll quote a reasonable amount and the wife will agree to it. Keeping fingers crossed!

http://www.sligocanvasshop.net/id13.html

Bet On Another Thousand

I think those are the guys that did my dads boat. They did a good job. It has the slide type connectors at the top and snaps on the bottom.

Well, Sligo came by and quoted 9 boats in total on our dock and I think most of us are going to proceed with our orders. They quoted me $1,950 for my front enclosure, which seems pretty reasonable. They quoted 30 gauge material windows. I asked for good quality thick windows that won't look like crap. They assure me, if stored properly, these will look great for years and years to come. They used to use 20 guauge, but upgraded several years ago to the 30 because it has a better look to them. The 40 gauge windows would cost 25% more, so I think I'll stick with the 30 gauge.

Bet On Another Thousand

If they are the guys that did my dads boat, they actually gave him a printout from their CAD system that shows him how to fold them for storage. As long as you store them correctly, they will look good for a long time.

Also, if you keep it up during the summer, you do not want the clear part touching your aluminum roof supports. The aluminum will get hot and will burn the clear plastic, turning it brown at the contact points.

That sounds like a great price, I was quoted $3500 for my 16' wide. Does anyone know how far Sligo will travel?

Radiowaves, depending on your skill level, I would at least consider sending them really precise measurements and having them ship the enclosure to you. I did something similar with an 18 foot by 24 foot fiberglass party top on an aluminum frame. The builder constructed it in Indiana in four sections and shipped it to Utah where I installed it. I made myself available for any questions they had while they were building it and they made themselves available for any any questions I had during installation. It fit like a glove and installation went smoothly including lights and a TV enclosure that folds down from the ceiling. I would do it again with no hesitation.

We met with Bertha from Miracle Upholstery 615-500-3476 in Smyrna, TN this last Saturday. She provided a 2nd quote for everyone and has come back less expensive than Sligo. We spoke in great detail about our enclosure, looked at samples, benchmarked other boats, and am now waiting for her to come back with her official quote.

She's also quoting us new patio furniture cushions, a decorative fabric trim piece to go at the top of the front porch opening, and perform some patchwork on my party top bimini.

Best part about these guys is they can start working in 3 weeks, instead of Sligo's estimated end of January.

Bet On Another Thousand

+ Reply to Thread