Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Careless captain sinks boat

Careless captain sinks boat

Percy Priest has a bad reputation when it comes to lower unit damage, especially in the winter when the lake is down. This poor soul is the latest victim claimed my the lake over the weekend. The captain was headed upriver and decided to take a shortcut instead of following the channel. I use this same shortcut during the summer when the lake is up and my depth sounder has read as little as 8 feet. This guy had 11 people aboard when he ran aground and knocked the shaft towers through the bottom. Needless to say, it took on water fast! TowBoat US, who's docked and lives on my dock, was there in no time. He shoved the bow up onto the bank before the entire boat sank, however the entire rear went under. The water reportedly got up to the matress inside the cabin. I'm guessing it's a total loss being it's a 1978 model Gibson.

They had 4 large water pumps sucking water from the bilge in order to keep it afloat until they got it up on the trailer. You can see the holes in 1 of the pictures.
    Attached Images
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

Super Moderator
    I more than likely sold that boat, when I was the Gibson dealer. That is a shame, i always liked Old Hickory as we did not have the plug pulled there and it was not landlocked.

Aw comon, that hole's not so big.... http://s71.photobucket.com/user/stmb...ml?sort=6&o=38
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

same thing happened to us 2 years ago with our old 42 ,except it was a rudder that went through the bottom .3 months and 13,000$ later it was with the new owner.
    Last edited by 42gibson; 11-11-2013 at 09:38 AM.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Well, there's actually 2 holes like that b/c both prop shaft towers went through. All 4 of those water pumps were pumping like crazy to keep that thing afloat.

Bet On Another Thousand

I guess that proves that, a bad day boating, isn't necessarily better than a good day at work!

My wife and I plan on going to look at a 36' Gibson on Percy Priest this weekend, it's at Four Corners. I hope this is not a bad omen for us?

Hey GoVols, Would common sense(w/ depth finder and good chart) most likely prevent this scenario, or is it an inevitable/eventual thing at Percy Priest lake?
    We probably wouldn't be going out when the waters down anyway.

We've been looking for a lake that doesn't freeze over in the winter within 5 hours of Cincinnati.

Greg

Percy Priest has a bad reputation for this kind of stuff, but it's more common with the day boaters b/c they don't sit at the docks and talk to the other boaters about navigating the lake all the time like the HB'ers do. If this Gibson is at Four Corners, it's probably on either K Dock or B Dock. What's the boat's name? I'm on K Dock. If you leave it at PP, just talk to your dock neighbors to learn the lay of the land. I only take my HB out of the slip to go pump out the holding tank in the winter. During the summer, I take it out nearly every weekend. When the lake is at summer pool, you can pretty much go anyway, but still need to keep an eye out for the hazard markers. For a new boater on PP Lake, I'd suggest staying down stream from Four Corners Marina toward the damn because there's less hazards and water is deeper. Once you pass Four Corners (mile 16 / half way up the lake), you need to start sticking to the channel more. If you go up toward Fate Sanders, then you really need to know your way or things could get expensive.

At any rate PP is a gorgous lake b/c there's no private homes or buildings allowed due to flood control. 4 Corners marina has a lot of awesome folks there, but the management and care taking of the marina is bad. The owner has lofty dreams for the place, but don't know if we should trust him or not. Our rent went up this year, but bad service levels remain the same.

Bet On Another Thousand

Thanks for the info.

I sent you a p/m.

Greg

+ Reply to Thread