Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pump for changing oil

Threaded View

Pump for changing oil

The old drill-attached pump that I use to change oil in my Mercruiser I/O has about had it. Now that I have 3 of these engines to do plus generator, I'm looking for something better. I have learned that it saves a lot of time to ask here first. Who can recommend a great pump for getting the oil out of engines and a generator? What do the (so called) pros use?

I use a jabsco porta quick oil changer. it works great everytime. I've had it 4 years and still works great just make sure the oil is hot first.the best place to get it is on e-bay.its 170$ plus free shipping and holds the oil from 2 454's plus my generator.
    Last edited by 42gibson; 11-13-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

I use a jabsco pump. I wish I had the one 42Gibson had. I had the pump but not the bucket. It pumps out really quick. The only problem I saw was getting the pump primed for it to start pumping. It is fine when the pump is new, but you end up sucking in some oil on the 2nd go.

I use the Jabsco porta quick as well. Asked for it for Christmas a couple of yrs ago.

Quote Originally Posted by easttnboater View Post
    I use the Jabsco porta quick as well. Asked for it for Christmas a couple of yrs ago.
    there is one thing with this unit.the pump is directional. the first time I used it I got all the oil out of the first engine just fine.the secong engine I put the switch the wrong direction and was pumping the oil from the bucket to the engine.was kinda of funny but yet a lil dumb.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

I use a a simple little pump made in Everett WA called a Sea Dog Electric Oil Changer. I bought it at a boatshow for 19.95. It works great. try www.sea-dog.com. It says part number 501060-3 on the box

A co-worker recommended this thing. Has anybody used one? http://www.wholesalemarine.com/catal...nge-pump-2gal/

I use a simple drill pump, but I also have a pumpout hose connected to the bottom of the engine. Trying to get the oil out through the dipstick hole is IMO an exercise in frustration.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

Quote Originally Posted by Stmbtwle View Post
    I use a simple drill pump, but I also have a pumpout hose connected to the bottom of the engine. Trying to get the oil out through the dipstick hole is IMO an exercise in frustration.
    Agreed. I would pump what I could from the dipstick and then pump the rest from the drain plug. I want to do the same thing you have with the pump out hose connected at all times. That would make pumping it out so easy.

My pumpout hose is connected where the drain plug would normally be and it stays connected all the time. It's a simple hydraulic-grade hose with appropriate fittings. The end is capped and secured above the level of the oil so that even if the cap is left off the oil won't leak. I don't bother with the dipstick hole, I simply remove the cap, connect my drill pump and in 5 minutes or so all 3 gal of oil are removed and I'm ready to put the new oil in. Works like a charm. I don't have to run the engine to heat the oil which means all of the oil is in the bottom of the engine and I can get it out.

To refill the engine I have simply put the hose from the pump into a container of new oil, and reverse the pump. Normally though I just pour it in in the usual way.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

+ Reply to Thread