Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gun Question

I usually have a SS Mini 14 in a case in a rear closet, but that is more for the beavers that are butchering the willow trees around the marina, for personal defense both the wife and I carry Kimber solo 9's when on the beach and there is S&W compact 45 in the rear stateroom. In 35+ years of boating I have only had a need for a weapon once, but that was enough to make me consider carrying on the beach.

Tony
    Mine is a Remington 870 clone 12 ga 18.5" barrel made by New England Firearms and purchased new at Dunhams sports. I think it was on sale at $ 165. It had a full Syn stock.
    I bought the ATI folding pistol grip stock off ebay for $25. One bolt to change the stock to the folding one.
    Mine is all black unlike the pic. ( first pic I found) and does not have the shell holder accessory or magazine extension tube. There are alot of accessory's out there for tactical shotguns.
    There are also others out there. Mossburg makes one called the JIC (just in case) that comes in a tube case and has a rust resistant finish. Nice piece but alot more $. Check you local Cabela's, Bass Pro, Dunham's, etc they sale should be starting soon.
    Last edited by boatlover; 11-18-2013 at 06:44 PM.
    1991 Pluckebaum 70'
    13' Boston Whaler, 40hp Yamaha
    10' AB rib, 25hp Suzuki (for sale)

It's a winchester defender... likely 410, 18 or 20 guage

I'd skip the folding stock and ammo carrier... Note that some states do not allow magazine extension tubes

This attached picture is what I keep nearby. It is .40 and the same caliber as my go-to pistol. Low recoil, super accurate .
    Attached Images

Sorry DitchRider it's a Remington 870.
    1991 Pluckebaum 70'

Those stocks or something similar are available for most popular shotguns, and some rifles like the Mini-14.
    Last edited by Stmbtwle; 11-19-2013 at 03:53 AM.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

I think on my boat a hand gun would be the most practical. Given I don't have the room some of you guys have and the tall steps and narrow doorways I usually need one hand to just navigate.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

Yeah those steps and ladders can be a pain in the ...
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
    I think on my boat a hand gun would be the most practical.
    Yes the handgun will be easier to have in smaller area's. Just be sure your legal were you plan to travel. For me the first state I enter when leaving Pa is Ohio and they Do Not accept my Pa firearms license. Here is a link to check on reciprocity for your state.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html
    1991 Pluckebaum 70'

wouldn't a good stun gun be easier? it'll put them down,no coroner to wait on,no blood to clean up and no nightmares.just a thought.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

42 Gibson has a point. The original question was about what kind of GUNS we had and that is where the thread went, but I agree a non-lethal device might actually be better.

We have to stop and consider what we're trying to accomplish. Do we want to KILL an intruder, "put him down" or simply make him LEAVE? In the last case a face full of pepper spray might do the job quite nicely. Less damage to the boat than a firearm, no blood to clean up, you don't need to get too close, you don't really have to aim, minimal "paperwork" after the fact, and in most states it's legal. It's probably not Al-Qaeda terrorists, Nazi Stormtroopers or Somali pirates we're up against; it's more likely just Joe Redneck looking for something to steal. If we give him an excuse to change his mind, he probably will.
    Last edited by Stmbtwle; 11-20-2013 at 09:09 AM.

+ Reply to Thread