Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gun Question

Just remember even the strong pepper sprays are not always effective and range is only a few feet. Good "option" if the threat level is low.

True, but there's no guarantee a bullet will stop them either, in time. Living in a "gun" state where more than one husband/wife/son/daughter has been mistaken for an intruder, shot, and killed; something non-lethal might well be in order as the first line of defense. 40-some years ago I had my father draw down on ME... fortunately he was a military man and identified his target before he pulled the trigger. Not everyone is so lucky.

If the intruder is really bent on murder you probably don't have a chance anyway. HE'S wide awake, armed, and maybe hopped-up on drugs; YOU'RE still half asleep...
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

Quote Originally Posted by boatlover View Post
    .......Just be sure your legal were you plan to travel. For me the first state I enter when leaving Pa is Ohio and they Do Not accept my Pa firearms license. Here is a link to check on reciprocity for your state. http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html
    Thanks for the link.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

Non-lethal weapons are no longer an option for me. Crimes committed around here are more for the thrill of killing than for the money. There have been a lot of daytime robberies in restaurants like Denny's where the rob the cash registers and the customers and then shoot and kill a few on their way out the door. They also did it in Subway Sandwiches and believe it or not - a Dollar Store.
    It also seems like home invasions have replaced burglaries somewhat. It's just a matter of time until the thrill seekers discover the water.
    If the "get off my boat or you will be shot" warning don't work, then I will use deadly force to protect my wife and I.
    I am not familiar with handguns and modern ammunition and so I posted this question.
    Generally speaking, if I had to shoot at someone it would be 10' or less.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

Not to be the dissenting voice here (I am a life long gun owner, and retired Coast Guard. I have handled all kinds of firearms) but have you thought about prevention? Lots of lights with motion sensors, alarms, video cams. It's a proven fact that if you make it difficult they will go somewhere else. A gun is a last resort when all else fails. And what do you do with it when you aren't home? Guns are a number one stolen item from homes.

If you do get a gun, take a course, especially a judgemental course if you can get one. Ask your local police, they'll know where one is available. I took one back in the sixties. What a revelation. Back then it was called Shoot, no shoot. Have your wife take it too. Practice. Even with a shotgun it is possible to miss (difficult but possible). With a handgun it's almost guaranteed if you don't know what you're doing. Just read reports of how many shots cops sometimes fire before they get a hit, and they are supposed to be experts and practice regularly. In a highly tense situation it is easy to do it wrong.

Yes revolvers are pretty much fool proof but still you have to be careful. If you aren't comfortable with an auto don't get one. I prefer a 45 auto but I have years of experience with one, but I wouldn't hand it to my wife. The recoil and noise scares her spitless. She doesn't even like the look of it. She prefers a revolver.

Any way, some very good advice given in previous posts.

But the number one thing I always said to boat owners who asked if they should have a gun on board is, are you willing to kill someone? If not or even if you would hesitate, then don't buy a gun. They'll just take it away and shoot you with it.

Definitely agree...
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

ditto the 380, by far a great choice.

here's a tip, when you have those pesky jet skier's and or wave makers who are intent on making life bad for you.

top deck highly visible to the culprit, a cell phone / camera, (they wont know the difference) recording there actions speaks volume s to there syc ic (sp),
    They don't know if the water patrol going to have there # and now have water patrol looking for them, lets get away from this guy...
    it works used it a few times

Lots of good info on this thread. I will also ad, if you boat on a US Corps controlled in-land lake weapons are a big no-no. As in a felony, permit or no permit.

Super Moderator
    A Taurus judge shoots 410 shotgun shells or Colt 45 longs. You can get the 410 slugs and you have the equivilent of 5 38s fired at the same time. You could also get a Ruger SP101 357 and as stated use 38s in it plus a couple of 357s. Most all southern state recognize other states permitsa in the south. here is a link to what stated recognize what. Nothern states have the least recipacation. 9mill Sig would be good also. I would lean toward the judge because it is a shotgun. be sure and get the stainless as the blued one has issues of locking up. They have a lifetime warrenty.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html

So, how does a flare gun, fired at close range, work at deterring unwanted visitors? Legal, right? And what else you gonna do with those out-of-date cartridges?

+ Reply to Thread