Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thinking of reporting

Threaded View

Thinking of reporting

As the next part of my project, I am looking at repowering the boat. The transmissions are due for a rebuild and the one engine seems to get water in the oil. I wanted to ask everyone's opinion.

Should I pull the current engines/transmissions at the end of the season and attempt to rebuild those? Should I look for a good deal on a couple of 318s and have them completely rebuilt and then installed after they are complete?

I would have the engines/transmissions pulled. Service the transmissions and then reinstall everything. Sounds simple but it won't be.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Are they giving you trouble? How many hours? Are they smoking? Or just because it will make you feel good. Engines should be good for 2000 hours and transmissions usually last the life of the boat. (Fresh Water)
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Also my iPhone messed up the thread title. It should say repowering.

I am not getting any smoke. It was more or less just to mitigate any issues that might come up. I do believe that I need new exhaust manifolds, but other than a little water in the oil the engines run strong.

I am not sure that I would bother with it at this point unless you are just looking for a winter project. Based upon all of the work you have done to date, I would suggest you take a break from it and just enjoy the boat for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by easttnboater View Post
    I am not sure that I would bother with it at this point unless you are just looking for a winter project. Based upon all of the work you have done to date, I would suggest you take a break from it and just enjoy the boat for a bit.
    After just hanging on the boat today with everything working, I think that is a good plan. I am going to hold off on the engines. Next spring I am going to paint the upper and durabak the decks. I would also like to replace all my windows.

Quote Originally Posted by JTAlberts View Post
    After just hanging on the boat today with everything working, I think that is a good plan. I am going to hold off on the engines. Next spring I am going to paint the upper and durabak the decks. I would also like to replace all my windows.
    I agree with OHB, Jamie. The Chrysler 318 and 360 engines are bullet proof. By replacing the manifolds and risers, you'll be in good shape. The only other consideration would be a carb rebuild if it's been a while since that was done. I think you mentioned before the ignition has been converted to electronic.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Suggestion:

Do the manifolds and risers. Even in fresh water they erode after time. The exhaust gasses will wear them away eventually. I changed out a set on my 3208 cats that were down to 1/16" of wall.

If you do this it's a good possibility that your engines will last long past your ownership period. Over 90+% of engines fail to reasons other than internal wear. Mechanically, if you use synthetic they will last almost forever.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Our boat had two very old outboards, we repowered this year with brand new E-Tec Evinrude outboards. The best $15k I have spent!! It is such a joy to get on the boat, tap the key and she starts, runs and idles perfectly. The previous two years with the old motors were such a drag!! Obviously your situation is much different but I had to share our love of our new motors!!

Fred

+ Reply to Thread