Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Untypical Floor Plan Value?

Untypical Floor Plan Value?

We are currently looking at a 16' X 67' Jametowner with what we have been told was a custom floor plan .....two bedrooms and only one bath. I suppose my biggest concern would be lack of value due to the one bath. I've never seen a boat of this size with just one. It does make for a nice open design, but just not sure how much one less bath takes away from the value. Any thoughts?
    1986 Gibson 50'
    Twin 454 Crusaders
    Monroe Reservoir, Bloomington, IN

I would prefer one bathroom vs. 2. Depends on teh buyers I guess.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    On a boat with only 2 bedrooms tell me why you would need 2 bath rooms. 2 bedrooms indicate NORMAL accomodations for 4 people. Easily handled by 1 bathroom.

A bathroom is necessary but otherwise wasted space.

Several years ago, at the Houseboat Show, we toured a 3 bedroom house boat with 2 huge bath rooms. It had ONE hanging closet. Dumbest layout I've ever seen.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

If you are worried about deviations from standard, then that size boat would have "normally" had 3-4 bedrooms and 2 baths - one full and one 3/4. So, with 2 bedrooms and one bath, you are looking at quite a deviation from "normal". How does that affect price? Who really knows? I would say that it would affect the pool of people willing to buy it - the pool would be smaller. A smaller pool of potential buyers might lead to a harder sell and a lower price. All that being said, it is your money - spend it like you want. And, never assume that you will make money or come close to break even at resale.

Just a comment.

Most boats that size have more bedrooms and baths. Some are designed as rentals. Salon areas are usually compromised and closet space shorted. Most don't have enough pantry space.

I'd consider the boat your looking at, IDEAL for me and my wife. Were former liveaboards and your discription leads me to believe that it is very roomy and uncramped. Ideal for liveaboard and entertaining.

I really would like to see a layout. Could you post a few pictures.

If you pass on this boat please PM me as we have been looking.
    Last edited by OLD HOUSEBOATER; 07-31-2012 at 07:26 AM.

Thank you for all the great input. We still have not come to a decision, but I feel less that I should just rule it out completely. OHB, send you a PM.
    1986 Gibson 50'
    Twin 454 Crusaders
    Monroe Reservoir, Bloomington, IN

To me, the most important consideration is, "How do YOU plan to use it?" How well would any particular layout suit your needs? If you want a more open layout, rather than one chopped up into a bunch of mostly-unused tiny bedrooms and teensy heads, if you like the idea of not having to traipse through the master stateroom to get to the back deck and swim platform, if you want a boat-ier helm, because you plan to do considerable traveling, and having it tucked away in a draperied corner wouldn't work so well for you, if you'll need real closets and adequate storage, then a non-traditional floorplan might be just the ticket. I would buy what I wanted, and not worry about resale. I'd let tomorrow take care of itself, but that's just me. Our floorplan is decidedly nontraditional. So far it's great-for the two of us--, but we're not entertaining dozens of friends and neighbors afloat for days on end.

Dan

You have PM.

Value is what someone is willing to pay for something you're selling in relation to getting it somewhere else-- Most houseboats are probably(?) owned by several people in a time-share deal. Those boats are "load everybody up for vacation!" boats, and usually are built to accommodate several people. Boats that have single-owners, like most of ours, are STILL usually built to accommodate several people! Which is fine, but a big boat built for 2 to 4 people to sprawl out all over, is probably on the rare side! As easttnboater noted, you may have a smaller pool of buyers later, but those buyers have a smaller pool of available boats to look at. What you see as a possible poor value may be just the opposite? I know this much, when we were looking, if the word "bunk" was found anywhere in the ad description, we moved on.
    1988 SkipperLiner 53x14
    1995 Tracker Party Cruiser 32 *for sale*
    2003 Chaparral 260 SSI
    2000 Allegro Bus 40' DP

One of the manufacturers' sites has a used custom boat with motorcycle garage. Pretty cool if you're a boater and a cyclist, but.................

+ Reply to Thread