Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The trip has begun

Tony:
    What waterway are you using to go North?? I have not been on here for a long while because nobody ever goes anywhere except out to party and back again. Hooray for you. I will be following you from barge to barge, sand bar to sand bar, great anchor spot to great anchor spot and crummy boat dock to crummy boat dock. I know it will be and interesting adventure.
    PS I hope your first Mate is enjoying the trip.
    Luck,
    Clarence

Bamby: thanks for the info.

Clarencio: We will be going up through Mobile Bay into the Mobile River and eventually onto the Tenn-Tom Waterway into Ky. I just find it alluring that a lake would be named after KY. my kinda place. LOL

Update: I usually run on only one engine at a time except for tight maneuvering areas. The day before yesterday, my starter motor went out on my port engine. We made it to a nice anchorage and I picked a spot that the wind would hopefully help me get out of yesterday morning, and it did. We were at a place called Rabbit Island at the end of the Gulf Outlet Canal. That put us on the last leg of the trip this winter. We were heading to Ocean Springs. Ms. The wind started to pick up and I knew that I would not be able to maneuver into a slip in Ocean Springs and we were near Gulfport, Ms. and their harbor is much bigger. We called Boat US and asked for a boat to assist in putting us into a slip and that is what we did. I then removed the starter motor and brought it to a repair place and it will be rebuilt and ready on Monday afternoon. We are under 20 miles from our final winter destination and so we could almost paddle over there. We also have friends in Gulfport because we lived in the area prior to Hurricane Katrina.
    I remember after the storm they were rebuilding the Harbor Marina but I never expected this:
    Attached Images
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

Mo' Pics these and the others were taken before and during sunrise. It was 33*F and I'm in my jammies and barefooted taking these photos.
    Attached Images
    Houseboater at Heart

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

Daytime Shots of Gulfport, Ms. Harbor

I took these this afternoon - after I got dressed.
    Attached Images
    Houseboater at Heart

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

Tony, you might try these websites for the Tennessee river area. kempter.com riverlorian.com

Thanks FLK.
    I will be doing a lot of reading once I finish getting my engine back together and my generator running again.

Since this has been such a fun winter, I thought I would throw this out to the Admiral - "How about next winter in the Bahamas?"
    To my surprise, she answered with a question - "How far and how to we get there?" I really think she is serious.
    Now if we can only get away without any more major expenses.
    Houseboater at Heart

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

Tony, When you headed up the Tenn Tom? I am at Midway Marina in Fulton, Ms. Look me up!! Jolly Time

Hi folks

Haven't been on here for a while.
    We stayed in Gulfport, Ms for a month for repairs. had to eventually leave because if you stay on boat more than 10 nights a month, you are considered a live-aboard and that is a no-no in Gulfport.
    We checked out neighboring Long Beach, Ms. and found a nice slip. When we arrived the next day we were told that that slip was not available and had to take a different one. A 50' slip in Long Beach means 3 pilings - one at the dock end, one in the middle and one outer one. The finger piers are only 24' long. Makes for a very awkward getting on and off and tieing up so we left after 2 days. That's because we were shown a really nice slip in Biloxi small craft harbor. So we went to Biloxi and guess what happened 15 minutes out? That slip was also a mistake and it was taken. I pulled into it anyway.
    The port commission folks agreed to that if the 'owner' arrives I will leave. Only problem is that they would not give us a monthly rate. We agreed to the daily rate anyway because of family and friends in the area. the admiral, being overly responsible as she is, gave them a weeks rent in advance. Two nights before the week was up we were told by the Harbor master that we had to vacate slip and find another one. They have not heard from the 'owner' of the slip in over 6 months, don't know when he is coming back but they want it vacant anyway, because this guy "has a lot of money". I quickly asked if that means he pays more? I got a very strange look. When asked which slip I was now going to take I told them one in Mobile Al. I told them that I was willing to pay over $600/mo at the daily rate because we liked the slip but not going to pay that much for the other slips. So, away we went.
    The morning we left it was like zero wind and forecast for 4-6 kt winds. GREAT!!. We were not out of the marina more than 30 minutes and still in the channel when the winds kicked up to 16-20 kts.
    Withing an hour or so the winds were at 20-24 kts on our nose with 3 to 4 ft chops. After getting battered for about an hour or so more I decided that it would not be wise to enter Mobile Bay in those conditions. If anyone here is familiar with Mobile Bay they know exactly what I am talking about. Anyway, we decided to duck in the Pascagoula River and up to Mary Walker Bayou and get a slip there.
    Really nice place out in the country so we decided to stay. I figured, how could you possibly go wrong in a bayou named after a prostitute (true story). So we decided to stay the month and still be within easy driving distance of friends and family. At this point, we are already Mardi Grawed out and just relaxin. Fat Tuesday is tomorrow and debating if we need to see any more parades - I think not but tomorrow hasn't happed yet.

Jolly Time: I will send you an IM with my cell number.

[/B]Will probably begin our northward assault toward Kentucky Lake around the first week or so in April providing the winter season decides to end.

So far it has been a great trip even with the sub freezing anchoring conditions. We have met with several people from different forums so far and am looking forward to meeting some of you folks along the way.

QUESTION...........Does anyone here know the distance from Mobile, Al. to Pickwick Lake, Ms? I'll take it in statute or nm's
    Thanks in advance.
    Houseboater at Heart

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

Transportation

When we arrived in Gulfport we knew we were going to stay for a while so I flew back to Tx. and drove my van up here. The van not only provides transportation but is also a mobile mini-storage. We will leave it here somewhere until we know we will be somewhere else for a while and then go back and get it.
    While travelling we never really needed it. Just about every marina we stopped at, someone was offering us rides for groceries and supplies. Good Karma I suppose. In the past I have always offered rides to cruisers.
    Just thought I'd throw that in. If anyone here is thinking of long range cruising, groceries and supplies are not really an issue. Actually to you real houseboat owners, you can store a lot more stuff than a pointy house boat.

Am thinking of buying motorized bicycles to throw up on the roof. Might be fun to have along.
    Houseboater at Heart

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

Very much enjoying reading of your adventure!!

+ Reply to Thread