Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The trip has begun

Too bad you are not going to motor over to Pensacola area.
    The ICW is awesome over this way, and lots to see.

Before you head north.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
    QUESTION...........Does anyone here know the distance from Mobile, Al. to Pickwick Lake, Ms? I'll take it in statute or nm's
    Thanks in advance.
    I ran from Pickwick to Pensacola, 550 miles, so I would guess from the ICW / Mobile Bay intersection it should be about 500 miles

With all this rain and snow melting, the current in the Tenn-Tom will be ripping, therefore; so will the floating obstacles. Especially the ones that are under the surface. Bring extra props, as impacts will occur, and you will not see them large water logged trees floating just under the surface.

Tows also kick them up off the bottom, so be very careful when you are near a tow.

Thanks for the info Tom.
    If the weather holds up, we will be on our way tomorrow morning at 6am.
    First stop: Mobile Al. and tie up at a dock.
    This crazy weather has us at a standstill.
    The flooding up north of here is going to really increase my fuel bill and am concerned about marinas that sell gas might be under water.
    This afternoon's weather report will help in my final decision.
    I brought my van to Mobile, Al a few days ago and left it in a mini-storage. When I get to my final destination, I will take a Grey Hound bus back to Mobile and get my van and bring it up to the boat.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    This is REALLY not the time of the year for running up the TT. Wait a month.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Quote Originally Posted by OLD HOUSEBOATER View Post
    This is REALLY not the time of the year for running up the TT. Wait a month.
    ^^^^ Yep, what he said.

Come hang in Pensacola a couple of weeks.

Or Mobile, but Pensacola, or Gulf Shores / Orange Beach areas are a heck allot prettier and more fun, than Dog River.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
    I am concerned about marinas that sell gas might be under water.
    Bobby's Fish Camp will be the first to go, and there is no other anywhere near there.
    A Fuel Bladder would be my choice, if I had to make the run up the TT now.

OK, we didn't leave as planned.
    Bobby's Fish Camp is where I planned to make my first stop. I called them up to make sure they had gasoline. Yes they did and still do and will probably still have it for a while. Their docks are under water and so you can figure the rest out. If I can't get fuel, I cant leave here. Then I called the Coffeeville Lock and dam and they said they were 34 feet above flood stage and so we decided to wait.
    This afternoon, I met a man at the marina, purely by accident, here in Gautier, Ms. He is from Demopolis and keeps his boat here at this marina. He said that this morning he drove over a bridge and the T-T looked like it was about 4 or 5 miles wide. There were eddys that looked like whirlpools almost as if you flushed the toilet. He said he had never seen it that bad before. He said it would take at least 2 weeks or more for it to clear up most of the logs and debris. It would be disastrous to leave now.
    So here is my new dilemma. we are very itchy to leave even if only to Mobile, Al. That would get us a day closer to our destination and we would feel like we are at least now underway. this is also very close to where I stored my van when I thought we would be gone by now. So if we waited in Mobile for a month, we would at least have my van close by. We brought the van there last weekend to be near a Greyhound Bus Depot so I could get back to it from Joe Wheeler St. Park in Al.
    Soooooooooooooo................Does anyone here live near Mobile River or is there anyway to find out how much, if any, debris is coming down the river into Mobile Bay. I would assume it is, But maybe not.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

there is absolutely no way I would even consider it until I was absolutely sure it was safe.there is a whole summer ahead with calm waters.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

The debris coming down will not make it to Mobile, AL.

The Alabama River and Tenn Tom intersection is where the heavy water action is occuring. Then as you travel south the river opens, and there is a huge delta area, with the Tensaw River River forking to the east. The logs and debris will hold up in this Delta area, and not make it to Mobile at the Mobile River.

So if your question is "Can I make it to Mobile without debris impact". I say yes.

Dog River Marina or Fairhope Yacht Club is where I would stay.
    There is also a Marina at Point Clear, Alabama, but it is small.

I am 1 hour from there, by vehicle.
    Last edited by BananaTom; 04-17-2014 at 03:30 PM.

+ Reply to Thread