Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 17
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your houseboat today.

yes, i took 300 off his bill.now if i could get my 4400 back for the crappy gel coat job.
    Last edited by 42gibson; 08-07-2012 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 42gibson View Post
    yes, i took 300 off his bill.now if i could get my 4400 back for the crappy gel coat job.
    I was discussing substandard and difficult craftsmen with the guy that came buy and purchased the old VHF's off our Gibson (we upgraded)...

Maybe it's time for a Marine Angieslist type service to get built?

We've been real lucky with vendors but I've heard some horror stories from people who've had vendor issues.

The insulation fellow called this morning at 0645 to announce his guys would be here to install insulation in an hour. Ohhhhh, help! We got an early start, rushing out to pick up everything that could possibly be in the way. So the men arrived, the insulation is mostly in, and oh, my, is it quiet in there all of a sudden. Now we really, really need to get going on staining and installing about a zillion cypress t&g boards... it's downright fuzzy looking in there.

The shower stall insert needs to be glued to the walls that are now in place, the C-Head is in its permanent location and works just fine- not a whiff of odor so far, and we have about 10 large jobs to do, each of which must be finished before any of the others can be done. So, if we can find a good bit of surplus energy, we will have made some visible progress this month!

Ripping out the Master Head.

Taking the dated cabinets out and ripping the master head down to bare wood. New vanity, floors and walls will be in and done by Monday.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by 42gibson View Post
    Is it still tacky? I am amazed at how the marine world seems like a hard place to find quality work anymore. There are some local guys here that do the work, but they aren't much quality or trustworthy.

Last week I finally located the source of an intermittent problem that has plagued me for almost 2 years. On occasion, the port engine would stop for no apparent reason. It would crank and run as long as the starter was engaged, but would die afterwards. I assumed the coil resistor was going bad since it would run while the starter was engaged (which bypasses the resistor). Then it would start working again, and I would forget about it. Finally it stopped and wouldn't start again. Checked voltage at resistor, nothing. Checked voltage on output of ignition switch and that was okay. After checking the ignition switch, though, it started again with no problem. Then died. Checked voltage at switch output again, nada. Nothing on input either. I jiggled the wire than runs from the +12v block to the switch and found that it had a loose connection to the terminal under the heat shrink.
    The DC wiring on my boat is a total mess. It really needs to be redone. Looking under the helm at the wiring for the gauges and switches is very depressing. Lots of things pig tailed off other things. Other wires hanging loose, not connected. I did install a 12v terminal and ground block and have been routing stuff to this as I go.

Angry Good news... and bad news

The good news is that the fine folks at Ascot Enterprises came through big time and got me a quote to replace all of the window shades in our boat for a figure that is 30% of what Gibson said they could do it. I couldn't give them my credit card number fast enough.

The bad news:

I need to replace both LectraSan MC units onboard as the previous owner's mechanic litterally installed them backwards (in the outpipe). ughhh

Cool

just bought my first houseboat yesterday going tomorrow to clean and access what all need to be done
    Last edited by mike d; 08-11-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Hurray! Looking forward to a full report. I hope, with all the work to be done- and I'm sure there will be lots of it, no matter how lovely it looks- that there will be plenty of time for good fun and relaxation, too.
    Share pictures?

yes its still tacky, they didnt use a mold release agent on it. the gelcoat was still tacky when it was shipped so all the road grime from the trip was in the gelcoat.when i called the he said to use simple green and comet to clean it. the only problem there was it was taking the gelcoat off as well. then he sent me enough release agent to do 120 sq. ft. the problem is that the roof alone is 420 sq. ft. what a mess because they didnt take the time to do the finish work right.
    Last edited by 42gibson; 08-12-2012 at 05:03 AM.

Closed Thread