Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
Closed Thread
Page 15 of 17
FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your houseboat today.

remodel done

the inside is all but finished. i just have to put some trim around a hatch door.now if it would stop raining!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by 42gibson; 07-09-2013 at 06:08 AM.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Quote Originally Posted by 42gibson View Post
    the inside is all but finished. i just have to put some trim around a hatch door.now if it would stop raining!
    This summer's weather has just been a nightmare for boating. I haven't had the time to go boating, but I at least feel like I haven't been neglecting it with the crappy weather. The pics look great.

Quote Originally Posted by JTAlberts View Post
    This summer's weather has just been a nightmare for boating. I haven't had the time to go boating, but I at least feel like I haven't been neglecting it with the crappy weather. The pics look great.
    we've been going down every weekend but we dont take the boat out. the river is up 5 feet right now with a swift current and whole trees coming down the muskingum. not even going to chance it just for a ride. it'll go down sooner or later.
    44 gibson executive
    marietta,ohio

Quote Originally Posted by 42gibson View Post
    we've been going down every weekend but we dont take the boat out. the river is up 5 feet right now with a swift current and whole trees coming down the muskingum. not even going to chance it just for a ride. it'll go down sooner or later.
    After your experience last year I don't blame you. The river was empty of boats this past weekend.

I pulled back the sheets and went to sleep.
    Just got back from Little Rock, Ar. visiting the kids and grandson.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

Took out family for a day on the water. Most importantly, docked the boat without hitting anything. :-). Discovered that the engine is flooding out. Already have replaced fuel pump due to a leak last year. Marina adjusted carb and thought it was fixed. However, there is gas film in water after running the engine and gas in oil. Will be removing carb and getting it rebuilt next. :-/

The past 4 weekends I've been fighting a fuel issue with the generator. None of 3 electric fuel pumps I have will indefinitely pull fuel from the tank. When the problem started the generator was pulling fuel from the toy tank, with a big water separator filter between. I pulled the filter, which had about a tablespoon of water in it, not bad for (I won't say how old it is) - and it was fairly dirty. Not having a new filter handy I tapped into the fuel line running to the engines from the port tank. Pump still wouldn't pull fuel so I changed the pump. Generator started and ran fine for about 20 minutes so I thought my problem was over. The next weekend, my roof AC unit started tripping the breaker again (which it started doing this summer). To test whether the problem is my shore power I fired up the generator and ran the AC off that. In 10 minutes, the AC tripped the breaker again anyway. So the problem is my 25 year old Coleman is finally biting the dust. I reset the breaker, waited about a minute and turned the AC on again. About 10 seconds later the whole boat went dark. The generator quit again! I open the hatch and press the "on" switch, and the fuel pump is clacking loudly, meaning there's no fuel to it...

By the way, the fuel pump is right on the engine room floor, and the fuel tank is 24" tall and full. There should be NO problem with it sucking fuel downhill all the way, but...? Thinking it may be sucking air someplace I took the valve off my un-used starboard tank and put it on the port tank, now I have a dedicated fuel line straight from the full tank, downhill to the fuel pump. The pump drew fuel and got quiet when pressure built against the carb. The genny fired and ran--- for about 5 minutes.

So I put in my second spare electric pump. These are new pumps too. And it did the exact same thing, drew fuel, ran the genny okay for a few minutes, then just a clacking pump with no fuel...

These are online pic replica's of the pumps I'm using, all (of mine) are marine rated. Bottom pump I have is a Westerbeke pump that came with the boat...

??? I don't get it. I WOULD get it if I was trying to suck gas uphill with these pumps, but they should nearly gravity feed once they're primed! NONE of them do? FWIW both the Merc 4-bangers get gas just fine, no matter where I hook up the fuel lines--

So this weekend I need to figure out this problem, PLUS change out the AC unit. On a positive note, there's a new DuoTherm roof AC unit that's been at the boat harbor for 8 years, I'm welcome to it, I just need to spend $80 for the ceiling control unit...

But I can't run the thing in the middle of the lake until I can figure out why these pumps won't pump!
    1988 SkipperLiner 53x14
    1995 Tracker Party Cruiser 32 *for sale*
    2003 Chaparral 260 SSI
    2000 Allegro Bus 40' DP

Replaced my middle bilge pump and float switch with a Rule 1500 Automatic Bile Pump - float switch built in.
    What a nightmare it was. I cannot start a simple electrical jib on this boat without spending a full day on rewiring. Apparently the previous owner had a lot of short wire scraps and
    a lot of butt connectors. Wires and butt joints everywhere. In order to correct this, you have to remove a bunch of wires and clean out a rats nest of wiring to be able to get
    access to a terminal. After going through a lot of the wiring on the boat my best guess is that the previous owner didn't really know what he was doing but eventually got it to
    work. Anyway, the wiring nightmare is slowly coming to an end as I 'dress' the new wiring I can now see what I have.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

roof leak , I spent the entire weekend looking for a roof leak. I have replaced all the flybridge screws,the rail screws with larger ones,caulked them all good with life caulk and everytime it rains my roof pan fills with wate rand runs out my rear navigation light. I am at a complete loss of where to look next. its a 1991 Gibson executive. anyone have any ideas? I also re-caulked the horn and spot light.
    Last edited by 42gibson; 07-21-2013 at 05:30 AM.
    44 gibson executive
    marietta,ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Frantically Relaxing View Post
    The past 4 weekends I've been fighting a fuel issue with the generator. None of 3 electric fuel pumps I have will indefinitely pull fuel from the tank.
    Are the tanks properly vented? It's possible that the vents are obstructed somehow and you're creating a vaccum inside the tank while the generator is drawing down the fuel level. Once the vaccum starts, it's not allowing the fuel to travel down to the pump. That's my $0.02 FWIW.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

Closed Thread