Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cooling pump impellers keep failing

Threaded View

cooling pump impellers keep failing

I have the dual Sherwood pumps on my Kingscraft, and the impellers on the port engine side keep failing every ~20 hours of run time. I'm guessing there could be a couple of reasons this is happening, but wanted to run it by you guys.
    Even with new impellers, the water flow through the engine is pretty low. I'm wondering if this is the cause or the symptom of the problem. I guess I need to check the flow on the output of the pump rather than the exhaust to see if it's pumping enough water. What's the best way to flush the water passages?

Our generator has the Sherwood model R30G-1 water pump and its impeller lasts 120-150 hours. If yours is failing that often I would thoroughly clean every part of the system that you can access, including the strainer, pipe elbows, heat exchanger. Be careful if you use a garden hose that you don't force water into the engine's exhaust ports.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Look for intake restrictions and plugged elbows on the output side.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Be sure you're picking up all the broken pieces of the last impellers when you're replacing with a new one. The broken pieces can flow through the system and get caught in elbows which restricts water flow. Also, be sure to lubricate your new impeller with liquid dish soap or dishwasher soap when you're putting it in the water pump. This will prevent wear as it's building initial water pressure.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

Quote Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
    Be sure you're picking up all the broken pieces of the last impellers when you're replacing with a new one. The broken pieces can flow through the system and get caught in elbows which restricts water flow. Also, be sure to lubricate your new impeller with liquid dish soap or dishwasher soap when you're putting it in the water pump. This will prevent wear as it's building initial water pressure.
    Actually this is exactly what happened. I assumed the impellers went bad again, but when I pulled the pump off, I found bits of old impeller blocking the intake. I thought I cleared them out from last time. In any case, I'm replacing the impellers with the Globe run dry impellers. They are actually cheaper than OEM impellers - there doesn't seem to be a down side.

We've seen something similar on our 8.5 Westerbeke.

Prior to our purchase the boat sat for a few years. We replaced the impeller and about 20-30 hours later the pump failed.

Half a boat buck later ($500) for a new pump I've started to see a reduction again in the exhaust water outflow... I am fearing a failing impreller... but we've got three spares... it's just a PITA job.

How exactly is it failing? Blades breaking, some blades wearing down, all blades wearing down, blades losing flex ...?
    1988 SkipperLiner 53x14
    1995 Tracker Party Cruiser 32 *for sale*
    2003 Chaparral 260 SSI
    2000 Allegro Bus 40' DP

+ Reply to Thread