Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody actually travel in there houseboat?

10 years ago, made a trip from Chattanooga Tn. to Paducah Ky. I was planing the same trip this year but, something came up.

Jolly Time unfortunately I am between boats at the moment but Midway is a strong consideration for my winter months. Do you spend winters there?

I do not live on my boat, but the majority of the people at my marina do live aboard!! I live 25 miles away in Tupelo with my wife and 5 kids!! Boat has been here 13 years, brought up from Florida!!

Bought mine in Tennessee and motored to Pensacola, down the Tenn Tom.

Then we would take 75 miles trips about once a month, east and west on the ICW, and north up rivers.

Spend 3 - 4 days, stopping at various towns.

It is allot of fun.

We weren't the anchor for the weekend crowd too often.

Rode it to New Orleans.

Been up and down the Saint John's River from Jacksonville to Deland.

8 days in the 10,000 Islands of the Everglades.

Miller Tyme may I ask what type of boat was the 05 trip in and what type of speed do figure you were averaging. Seems you were doing about 83-84 miles a day.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaTom View Post
    Bought mine in Tennessee and motored to Pensacola, down the Tenn Tom.

Then we would take 75 miles trips about once a month, east and west on the ICW, and north up rivers.

Spend 3 - 4 days, stopping at various towns.

It is allot of fun.

We weren't the anchor for the weekend crowd too often.

Rode it to New Orleans.

Been up and down the Saint John's River from Jacksonville to Deland.

8 days in the 10,000 Islands of the Everglades.

That's exactly where I plan to travel. Any challenges or scary situations?
    Capn Morgan

Jolly Time did you get to the Pirate Fest looks like fun on their Facebook page!!
    Last edited by GJSmith; 09-03-2012 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by capnmorgan View Post
    That's exactly where I plan to travel. Any challenges or scary situations?
    Where do you plan to travel? down the Tenn Tom?

If so, plan, get a guide book and charts, learn fuel stops. Bring extra props, lots of logs floating just under the surface, especially behind a tow. And take your time, we did it in 5 days and wished it would have been 12, and stop more often to play.

I've been traveling on one of those funny looking houseboats with the two really tall flagpoles for the past several months in the Mediterranean. I was really surprised when I logged on tonight to see the forum changes. Friends of mine sailed their 41' Morgan OutIslander from south Fla to Ireland back in 2002. They've since sailed it into the arctic circle, Norway, England, all the way down to Africa, then up to Turkey. They've been to 37 countries on the boat in the past 10 years.
    This year we picked the boat up in Messalonghi, Greece on the Pellapenisian Penninsula, visited the the western Greek isles, then up to Albania, Montenegro, and Croatia. Then across to Brendisi, Italy where we caught a bullet train (162 mph) to Venice for 4 days. Back to Brendisi, and to Otronto, Italy on the heel. Then onto the straits of Messina with it's whirlpools, then to Tropea, then to Amalfi and the beautiful Amalfi coast. We spent a day in Pompeii, and finally ended up at Port Napolean in Marseilles, France.
    What a trip of a lifetime. These people are real adventurers. They make no day to day plans that can't be changed on a whim. The masts have been removed in Marseilles and shipped to Amsterdam. Next summer they'll sail the canals of France and Germany, ending up in Amsterdam where I'll meet the boat and help sail it to Norway. Plans are to sail from Norway up into the Arctic circle the following year. This summer it took us awhile to get up to speed on using the European internet but next year I'll try to keep this forum posted with pictures and descriptions of our adventures. Meanwhile my old 50' Burns is sitting forlornly at the dock as I'm trying to catch up on everything I'm behind on
    I've missed keeping up with everyone's (mis)adventures on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaTom View Post
    Where do you plan to travel? down the Tenn Tom?

If so, plan, get a guide book and charts, learn fuel stops. Bring extra props, lots of logs floating just under the surface, especially behind a tow. And take your time, we did it in 5 days and wished it would have been 12, and stop more often to play.

Tenn tom for sure would like to go to savannah ga but that looks risky on the atlantic side.
    Capn Morgan

+ Reply to Thread