Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Does anybody actually travel in there houseboat?

Quote Originally Posted by GJSmith View Post
    Miller Tyme may I ask what type of boat was the 05 trip in and what type of speed do figure you were averaging. Seems you were doing about 83-84 miles a day.
    It was a 52' Monticello with twin EFI 454's, we planed our stops based on where to get fuel and overnight dockage. The longest leg was Golconda Ill.- Evansville In, approx 125 miles, I believe one of the runs was only 65 miles. The pre-planning was a great advantage because we brought it up 5 days after Katrina hit and fuel on the river was very hard to find, but we had plotted every fueling point on the river and anytime we needed at least 50 gallons we would stop and check to see if they had any, (which better than 1/2 didn't). except for the Golconda/Evansville run I ran @ 1800/2000 rpm which ploted on my GPS at between 8.3 to 9.7 MPH and burned about 1gal/mile. between Gol/Evans we ran 2500rpm ( Ohio was running fast due to Green River flooding) and burned about 2gal/mile. Except for that leg the river was at pool and little to no current.
    All and All a great trip.

Last edited by Miller Tyme; 09-06-2012 at 06:25 PM.

WE are full-time liveaboards. We just jumped from sail to power.
    This coming Feb/March we will be leaving Galveston Bay, Tx and heading along the 3rd coast to Mobile Bay, Al. Then turn north and work our way up to the northern part of Ky. Lake.
    Will settle there for the rest of 2013. Havent figured out what we will do for 2014 yet.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
    WE are full-time liveaboards. We just jumped from sail to power.
    This coming Feb/March we will be leaving Galveston Bay, Tx and heading along the 3rd coast to Mobile Bay, Al. Then turn north and work our way up to the northern part of Ky. Lake.
    Will settle there for the rest of 2013. Havent figured out what we will do for 2014 yet.
    You should consider a little side trip, enter the ICW on the east side of Mobile Bay and take a ride to Pensacola. It is a beautiful trip. Lots to see and do for a couple of days. The U-turn and head North. The Tenn Tom is nice, but there will be long days with little towns to encounter in the beginning.

Tom

More than likely we will do that just to see how much changed in the last 7 years or so. The last time I was there was on a solo trip in Jan 05. I did the trip on my Catalina 30 sailboat. Had to get out of the Gulf and onto the ICW. Man was it ever windy and cold that winter.
    Wife and I have always enjoyed anchoring in Wolf Bayou and reminisce about old times in Pirates Cove when the old owner was still alive in the 1990's.
    If we make the side trip that way, we will look you up.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

Did West Palm to Key Largo in two days... very nice trip.

Most of the time we just poke around Tampa Bay, but once a year or thereabouts we head up the west coast to Tarpon Springs or beyond. So far haven't made it past Homosassa because of time constraints and speed (or lack of). This year we may head south just for a change.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

In the 3 years I have had this boat I have gone a little over 3000 river miles. Waiting for spring to add more.
    1991 Pluckebaum 70'
    13' Boston Whaler, 40hp Yamaha
    10' AB rib, 25hp Suzuki (for sale)

From Beaver Pa, you had to go either up or down the Ohio river. Where were your destinations??

Eddyville KY( Lake Barkley) to Beaver Pa .( 965 miles),
    Roundtrip Beaver to Marietta OH .( 300 miles)
    Roundtrip Beaver to Pgh 6 times .(150 miles),
    Roundtrip Beaver to Kitanning PA ( mile 50 Allegheny river) 5 times .(750 miles)
    Roundtrip Beaver to Louisville KY .(1200 miles). = 3065
    1991 Pluckebaum 70'
    13' Boston Whaler, 40hp Yamaha
    10' AB rib, 25hp Suzuki (for sale)

+ Reply to Thread