Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Houseboat Sunk At Lake Camanche California

Houseboat Sunk At Lake Camanche California

One of our fellow houseboaters that put in the same day as us had an issue with a pontoon. The mover told him that old HB will sometime split a seam when they are moved. I call BS on that, the boat was moved less than a 1/2 mile. Anyways he started taking on water not sure why he didn't pull it out, he beached it and had been working on it since it was launched June 21st. Yesterday a mutual friend took this picture.

Last edited by harvrbt; 07-12-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Doesn't really matter how far you move it, the stresses of hauling and launching could be enough. I'm sure he wishes he'd hauled it when he had the chance; now it's going to be expensive.

Also, with these old steel pontoons when prepping and recoating it is easy to think you've gotten rid of all the old bad material, even pressure test fine, only to find out that when it is subjected to stresses of moving weak spots are exposed and jeapordized. The load alone on the pontoons when on the transport trailer can expose weak areas.

When my pontoon houseboat was moved, the trailer was put between the 'toons with the boat's weight resting on the steel cross beams, not the 'toons. The 'toons were basically hanging in the air during the ride and weren't touched by the trailer. Boy, I'm sure glad I hired the boat's manufacturer to move mine!

Could you repost that picture so we can click on it to make it larger?
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

Quote Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
    When my pontoon houseboat was moved, the trailer was put between the 'toons with the boat's weight resting on the steel cross beams, not the 'toons. The 'toons were basically hanging in the air during the ride and weren't touched by the trailer. Boy, I'm sure glad I hired the boat's manufacturer to move mine!

Sorry but I am not computer savy enough. If you could give me some instruction on how to do it I would be glad to. My daughter was back out there today and they have it raised up out of the water, still not level but better than it was. Not moved yet.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by GoVols View Post

How many of the pontoons ended up leaking to get that effect? At that angle, I'm surprised it didn't flip over entirely. Those are steel pontoons, right? You said they got it floating again?
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

that just makes my stomach turn over.

Mine too, but also because it looks like it's going over a waterfall! Just had to fix (and while the water's flat, the poor boat looks worse)

1988 SkipperLiner 53x14
    1995 Tracker Party Cruiser 32 *for sale*
    2003 Chaparral 260 SSI
    2000 Allegro Bus 40' DP

It was beached or I think it would have went over. Thanks for fixing the pic for me!! The put air bags under it got it leveled up, pumped the water out and pulled her out. Sitting up in the yard at the lake, not sure what they are going to do with her. Very sad!!

Fred

+ Reply to Thread