Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: houseboats in pacific ocean

Cool houseboats in pacific ocean

I am new in houseboats and I try find out if the house have stern drive is ok for salty ocean ? need advise thx

I wouldn't have outdrives in salt water...Too much exposed to the salt and barnacles.

We have inboards with V-Drives and it's enough of a job keeping it clean....

thank for reply and how about if the body is aluminun ,may be I should buy fiberglass????

Aluminum is very susceptible to galvanic corrosion in salt water. If you get an aluminum boat, make sure you have a galvanic isolator and keep all your anodes on your outdrives and hull regularly replaced. I met the owner of a wide-body Sumerset in Destin, FL’s Harbor. He replaces his anodes every month and has them practically lining the hull the entire way around the boat. This is why most ocean-going pleasure vessels are fiberglass.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

When you said Pacific Ocean I hope you meant in protected bays or harbors! A houseboat is not designed for use in open waters, especially offshore in the Pacific.

As for using them in salt water, there are thousands of boats with sterndrives used in salt water in the Pacific Northwest. Yes they are subject to galvanic corrosion, and you need to make sure they are properly protected with anodes, and if you have Alternating Current onboard, galvanic isolators (or better yet an isolation transformer). But if you raise the sterndrives when not in use, so they are out of the water, and give them proper annual maintenance they will do just fine. Of course it is best if the engines have a heat exchanger and sealed fresh water cooling. Using raw water cooling in saltwater is just asking for trouble.

+ Reply to Thread