Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Visited Norris Lake

Visited Norris Lake

We went to the UT game over the weekend and dropped by to see a couple of newer boats by our boat's manufacturer on Norris Lake for the heck of it. The lake is man made and is nested in a rather very hilly / mountainous area. When we walked out onto the dock, the 1st thing I noticed was the clear water. You can see down ~10'! Walking by all the boats that were docked there was eerie b/c all the boats looked like they were floating in thin air! I really wish Percy Priest looked like that. Sitting at the dock, the depth sounder registered 180'! I told them my boat typically sits in 14' at the dock. LOL.

We viewed 2 boats that Sailabration built within the last ~2 years and I gotta say, I'm very jealous. Their ships were top notch. Even though my boat is an '06, the mechanical setup on his new boats put my boat to SHAME! I left asking my wife if we could buy a new one.......I'm still working on it.

I was surprised to learn that both Sharpe and Horizon closed their doors within the last year. Some of my friends own those type boats and they're very nice as well. Houseboat mfgs are still hurting.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

Yea Norris Lake is on my list of Local Lakes to visit!!

Norris stores a lot of water - 1.1 million acre feet. They also bounce it up and down about 30 feet a year. I am on South Holston. It is also deep and clear - two thirds of its shoreline is in the Cherokee National Forest. They bounce it up and down about 24 feet a year.

I'm glad you liked my boat. My wife and I were the ones sitting out front when you walked through and we are proud of it and love Norris. It was good to meet you and your family. I hope your son enjoyed his first UT game.

Are you sure about Sharpe, they delivered a Boat to my dock this spring. I drove by their shop a couple months ago and it looked slow but I hadn't heard they went under.

I'd hate to misquote my source, but he told me he went to Sharpe a few months ago and bought a bunch of stuff there at auction. He said Sharpe didn't go bankrupt, but they just decided to close their doors b/c they just couldn't get enough business. It's a shame these boat manufacturers are a dying breed. I guess that's the nature of the business - highly cyclical.

Bet On Another Thousand

Did a little searching and found this.

Fordbrothersinc.com
    Auction Listing

TOTAL LIQUIDATION OF SHARPE HOUSEBOATS

COMMERCIAL PROPERTIES, FARM – HOUSEBOAT AND EQUIPMENT

SEPTEMBER 20TH AND 21ST

ABSOLUTE AUCTION #1

ABSOLUTE ONLINE ONLY AUCTION
    OF HOUSEBOAT, TRUCKS, MACHINERY, PARTS AND TOOLS

BID NOW AT WWW.FORDBROTHERSINC.COM!!!– BIDDING ENDS ON SEPTEMBER 20TH AT 2:30 P.M.

There are a vast number of items being sold in this auction. For a complete list of items and terms, please log onto our website at http://www.fordbrothersinc.com/. Items include building materials, metal, tools of all descriptions, sewing supplies, boat parts, motor, aluminum, steel plus many, many other items!!

PREVIEW DATES: Equipment items may be previewed on the following date and times; MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 10TH AND SEPTEMBER 17TH FROM 1:00 P.M. TO 5:30 P.M. EACH DAY and THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 20TH FROM 10:00 A.M. TO 2:00 P.M. at the former location of Sharpe Houseboats. The address is 5215 S. Hwy 27 – Somerset.

*Forklifts cannot be picked up prior to Sunday. *
    * Houseboat Buyer must call to schedule pick up.*

Go here for details:
    http://www.fordbrothersinc.com/aucti...php?subp=1&sct...

I wonder where Sharpe's government bailout is? They're probably not contributing to the right party....

Sad to see another quality builder go belly-up. Who's left in business now? Can't be many!

Bet On Another Thousand

I think it will be years (at least 5) before the industry starts to come back. These boats last a long time and there are a ton of boats out there for sale. I think the used boat market will keep demand satisfied for a long while.

Also, there was a marina fire on Norris Monday of this week - http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/se...n-norris-lake/ - looks like it was smaller boats.

+ Reply to Thread