Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hot V-drives

Threaded View

Hot V-drives

After running the boat for awhile, should my V-drives be hot to the touch? As in so hot it will burn your hand? Both drives seem to get really hot when running. Also, how much whining should the drives have? Both of them whine when in reverse, from reading that is normal, but when in forward at idle rpms they will whine as well. The fluid level is fine on both, however I am suspecting I am burning up the clutch. I don't feel any slipping, but I am not sure how that actually feels.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    What Brand, Velvet Drive - Paragon - Walter ???

They will run 110 -150 or more. If they get over 190 you need to change the oil and determine the reason.

Your heat exchangers could need cleaning. Did you IR them or don't they just feel good to you. You need to get a hard number before you start worrying.
    Last edited by OLD HOUSEBOATER; 09-10-2012 at 10:21 PM.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Quote Originally Posted by OLD HOUSEBOATER View Post
    What Brand, Velvet Drive - Paragon - Walter ???

They will run 110 -150 or more. If they get over 190 you need to change the oil and determine the reason.

Your heat exchangers could need cleaning. Did you IR them or don't they just feel good to you. You need to get a hard number before you start worrying.

They are Paragon PV33. I didn't IR them, but I will this weekend. I wouldn't be surprised the heat exchange needs cleaned. This boat seems like cleaning wasn't on the "To Do" list for the previous owners.

PV33 Vee Drives Overheating

My Burns-Craft also has PV33s and they hardly get warm while I'm running although I only cruise at about 1500 rpm. They whine a little in reverse but they're silent in forward.
    I agree with OHB. CHECK YOUR HEAT EXCHANGERS.
    You can buy an inexpensive infrared thermometer at Harbor Freight for under $30. This is an invaluable tool to have when troubleshooting many engine problems. When I'm on a long trip I routinely go back and check the temp on the engine, manifolds, and transmissions to help avoid possible problems.
    Good Luck!

+ Reply to Thread