Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oil in bilge question

Oil in bilge question

One of my engines overheated a few weeks ago after the raw water intake got clogged. Afterwards I noticed lots of engine oil in the bilge and the level was low. After fixing the clog and adding oil, I ran the engine and it doesn't appear to be leaking oil anymore - sort of hard to tell as the bilge is a mess. I cleaned up most of the oil using cat litter, but it's still pretty oily. No water in the crankcase either, so I don't think the head is cracked.
    Could the oil of come from the rear main seal, and if so has it really stopped? Where else could the oil come from?

What type/size of motors?

They are Chrysler 360s. I took a closer look this weekend, and was able to see oil still coming out. It's coming out pretty fast; a small stream ;-(
    It's coming out towards the back, but not underneath - more like around the oil filter adapter. I've read several accounts of the gaskets going bad around the adapter so I'm hoping it's this and not the rear main seal. I can't imagine the main seal leaking this much oil this fast - aren't mail seal leaks more of a drip, drip pace?

Uggh. Sorry to hear about the troubles. I am taking on replacing the manifolds this week. Fingers crossed I don't discover any other issues.

I am not a Chrysler engine guy, so I don't know what their failure points are. If it overheated bad enough, you may be talking warped block. Hopefully you just fried the oil filter gasket.

Good news. I ordered and received a gasket kit for the "oil filter adapter", replaced it and no oil leak! Now I have to clean up the mess in the bilge.

Quote Originally Posted by fisheatingbagel View Post
    Good news. I ordered and received a gasket kit for the "oil filter adapter", replaced it and no oil leak! Now I have to clean up the mess in the bilge.
    Congrats.

Dawn Dish Soap

Good to hear

I'm glad it turned out to be relatively minor. Could you explain the "oil filter adapter", is that a remote mount for the oil filter?

KC55
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15
    1987 Ebbtide 190 Catalina Open Bow w/Mercruiser V8

http://www.kingscrafthouseboats.com

KC55,
    It's a small casting that "adapts" the filter to the block. I guess Chrylser made several, to allow different engine mounting options and allow access to the filter.

What do you guys use to clean up oil residue in the bilge? I have a little big of oil in my bilge that has dried onto the aluminum bottom of the boat, and it doesn't really want to come up. I have loosened it up with a pressure washer, and then used one of the oil absorbing pillows, but it doesn't come out very well. What about an engine degreaser? I am afraid to use it in the hull, because I don't know if I can ever get it out conveniently. Cannot pump it into the lake!!

+ Reply to Thread