AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16
FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Kingscraft owners and fans

Back in the saddle again

Hey all,

I've been busy with work. To say the least. We got started back on the boat today and will be free for more this weekend.

We have turned the corner and are starting to put back instead of tear out

I'll post more soon.

KC55
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15
    1987 Ebbtide 190 Catalina Open Bow w/Mercruiser V8

http://www.kingscrafthouseboats.com

WOW
    I have really learned a lot. I didn't know what I was getting into. If you buy a housseboat - take a disinterested 3rd party. I was way too emotionally involved.
    We have been back at it for almost a month and have more work to do now than when we started. The 1/2 head, the bunk, and the full head are gone. MASSIVE leaks and ( non structural) wood rot changed our plans. We are now into our 2nd year's schedule. We have replaced all the plumbing with Apex (good stuff) and installed our newbreaker box (not wired yet). Our salon is completely insulated (sheet poly).
    I STILL LOVE IT
    KC55
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15

I am still here, down but not out.
    We have put in the new aluminum window tracks in the front salon, ripped up all the old indoor/outdoor carpet off the roof (not the fly bridge), and are in the process of getting the carpet glue off. What a mess. I went back over the old forum, called carpet stores, and asked friends for advice and THERE IS NO GOOD WAY TO GET OFF THE OLD GLUE. The best thing I found was a hot day plus gallons of brake fluid. Yep. The old glue and backing rubber actually started off-gassing (like steam) in the hot sun after about 20-40 minutes. We tried everything we could think of and brake fluid is the best. We did not try the dry ice method, we just didn't have any handy. We are down to sanding the surface to get to bright shiny metal. We are going back with Sonoguard, a BASF product. We haven't been able to find the source of our leaks, and it has rained hard since we ripped out the head and most of the Starboard paneling (and some of the ceiling). I have really gotten behind on my website, more pictures soon, I promise. I am working 12 hour shifts at work and trying to finish a business degree so it is hectic around here.
    The fact that we are already paying for our slip is a real motivator
    Anybody need a new boat owner consultant? I could save you thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours. Or just read and search this forum and believe it.

happy floating
    KC55
    Last edited by KC55; 05-17-2013 at 07:50 PM. Reason: spelling
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15

KC,

Things went off the rails for me here in terms of focus on the boat. We sold our house, the wife is due with out first baby in August, we are buying and renovating a 100 year old home, and I just changed jobs. Luckily, the new job is providing me with more time to do my out of work hobbies. Hopefully the house will be nearing the stage where I have less hands on soon. That means I can focus on getting those windows in the boat. We will be putting in the water this weekend and just work on putting a window in a night. Fingers crossed it works out. I will be pulling the boat mid-september and trying to get some work done to it then. If possible, I would like to sand and prime the body for painting the rest of the hull in the spring. Depending on how everything runs this year, I might also be looking into getting the engines and transmissions rebuilt. That might wait a couple years though.

KC,

Any more progress? We have the boat in the water and got her all washed up, however she is going to sit idle for a bit. We are in the main work of the house. That should be dying down in the next few weeks so we hope to get some wave time.

Slow

JT,

We are making progress, it's just slow. We have all of the carpet off of the top and need to finish sanding. I will have to fill the joints on the upper deck and then I will be able to paint. We have looked at sani-tred, sonoguard, and various other urathanes, but have decided on Devoe two part epoxy primer and paint for the upper decks. We replaced one of the lower windows (middle Starboard), cleaned most of the lower bilge and replaced about 1/4 of the interior decking. I ordered a c-head composting toilet after we ripped out all of the sewage system. All of the hoses were permeated and stunk. I realize this is a pretty radical move but I couldn't find a single person that actually owns one that isn't happy. We are completely redoing the head (new shower, toilet, and vanity) and moving the walls. I also am widening the pocket door from 24 inches to 30 inches(won't have to turn sideways to go through). The new layout of the head means none of the windows will be "split" by any walls. The boat will be radically opened up. Our plans are to re-float as soon as the head, roof, and through hulls are all done. We will have a long way to go but we want to be boaters and not just builders.

Congrats on the baby! That is awesome.

Best wishes.

KC
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15

Just a quick update,

I have two weeks of intense schoolwork and my boating time is being severely curtailed. After that the time should be mine, I hope at least. Now, if the money will just hold out! On a side note, we took the Ebbtide out Saturday and had to get towed in. My mechanic thinks the needle seats in the carb aren't sealing properly. Having two boats to get fixed is way funner that just one. That is what I told my wife but she didn't believe it. When I finish school, I am going to learn gasoline engine repair. Seriously.

I haven't been on "Empty Nestin' " for two days and I think I'm going through withdrawal.

KC55

All the Sun I can stand, all the water I can see, all the money I can spend, so on a boat I can be free.
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15

KC,

I know the feeling. Luckily the issue with our open bow was just user error. My father in law had the trim up way to high when he was bring the boat up river. I let him drive it while I took the trailer home. When I got to the dock he told me that the boat was running and vibrating really bad. I jumped in and took off. He was trying to put the trim almost halfway up. In our boat it can't go above a quarter of the way until the prop starts coming to the top of the water. I had feared the worst.

What engines does your KC have in it? I had a good lesson from a friend on some engine wrenching two days ago.

JT
    It's a mercruiser V8 230Hp. It turned out to be the ignition sensor (potted electronics device in the distributor). I was there when the mechanic took off the dist cap and the rotor had just about eaten out the inside of the dist. There were metal and plastic shavings/dust laying in the bottom of the distributor. The warm starting problem went away when he put in the ignition sensor. We took it for a test drive today and ran it for a half hour, shut it off and waited for another half hour. It restarted great and we tried it several more times, on/off, on/off, etc. It seems reliable now. May be why we got a pretty good deal on her last year. I didn't think to stop/start her on the trial ran we made. Living and learning.

Glad your boating issue was just user error.

It felt wonderful to be on the water and have things go well. When we got back to the ramp an older lady had backed her pickup truck and trailer in the water up to the drivers door window. I assume she had intended to pull the trailer out after her husband had launched and had it in reverse. To add insult to injury, when the tow truck stopped, when pulling her out, either she didn't think to hit the brakes or something, but she coasted into the back of the tow truck...BAM. I guess everybody has a lousy day every once in a while. We felt sorry for her for sure.

The first wall is framed in the HB, and the composting toilet is now aboard. It is not christened, my wife said I have to wait till all the walls are there. Sometimes I don't understand women

Back to schoolwork!

KC55
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15

Quick update

We continue to work on the boat in most of our spare time. The head is framed in and we are in the process of installing the cultured marble shower (a heavy job). The pocket door to the stateroom has been moved forward 6", widened 6" to 30" and the opening raised to where up to a 6'4" frame will fit through. The stateroom closet is gone, by choice. Approximately 45% of the insulation is done and we have one of the six lower windows re-framed in aluminum. The carb on the genny has been completely rebuilt. Probably 35% of the AC circuits are in and all of the helm wiring is gone. The helm will be on the list before we launch. I think I mentioned the upper decks sometime, we are still struggling to find a GOOD tig welder for the leaks. That is the number one frustration besides not getting on the water. The salon/galley stairs have been designed and rebuilt to save 8" of galley space. The rear steps have been replaced with a single step/workbench. Much easier in and out of the aft window and nice for short rests and work space (doesn't take up an inch more than the original stairs. Many other things too minimal to list.

We are not going to get out this year. We finally admitted it. The goal is to have it completely done for next spring. We took the boat apart staple-by-staple, screw-by-screw, wire-by-wire, and wall-by-wall. We really didn't realize we were going to do everything. We could have saved a ton of time by ripping it out all at once but I JUST DIDN'T KNOW

I'll put some pics on the website tonite if you care to see the progress/devastation.

I would have posted sooner but working on a boat is funner than talking about it.

Later
    KC55
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15

+ Reply to Thread