Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Kingscraft owners and fans

Marinette Yachts has the tracks that would fit.

http://www.marinette.com/rparts09.htm

I do know someone who replaced their handrails with a system similar to what you posted. Looks pretty good. I have no idea how to check the water tank either. All I know is that my water is clear coming out of it. There is a drain plug on the bottom of the keel for it though. My boat didn't have a swim platform either. I do know a guy that cut his in half.
    Last edited by JTAlberts; 09-18-2012 at 07:33 PM.

I replaced the aft pilothouse-main cabin window with a custom window from Motion Windows
    They will custom make windows for about any opening, just a matter of cost.

You can get replacement aluminum window slides here: http://www.marinette.com/
    As far as the water tank goes, I wouldn't drink water from a 30+ year old metal tank either. We flush ours every spring, and throughout the season and just use it for washing, etc. We keep bottled water in the fridge for drinking. We would probably do this regardless as we just don't use enough water from the boat tank to keep it fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by fisheatingbagel View Post
    I replaced the aft pilothouse-main cabin window with a custom window from Motion Windows
    They will custom make windows for about any opening, just a matter of cost.

You can get replacement aluminum window slides here: http://www.marinette.com/
    As far as the water tank goes, I wouldn't drink water from a 30+ year old metal tank either. We flush ours every spring, and throughout the season and just use it for washing, etc. We keep bottled water in the fridge for drinking. We would probably do this regardless as we just don't use enough water from the boat tank to keep it fresh.

Fish,

Was the window install a pain? Did you just close up the rear window?

Still waiting......

Hello again, we are in wait mode. I have requested documentation (copy of registration, HIN, serial #'s) and have not received them yet. The owner is making a few minor repairs as I understand it. We are eager to try out the boat and proceed with the survey, but the timing is not up to us. If I was selling a boat, I think I would be a little better at communicating with the prospective buyer. I guess I can't walk in his shoes, hopefully we will conclude this with both parties getting what they want.

I contacted Marinette and they do indeed have the 3-track aluminum window track available ($60/9ft), so thanks for the heads up. I hope fisheatingbagel will share a little about his experience with the aftermarket replacement window(s). I am not sure what we will be doing with our windows.

I reread JT's blog last night, and I am even more impressed with his style and diligence. I hope that we get to meet someday. I would like to hear/see more about the engine/transmission work.

A new question, I have been looking for repairs on pitted hulls, and I don't seem to find a consensus on the preferred method. Many different suggestions. I hope to never have to deal with this, but I would like to know what is involved. I just saw a boat in Florida (online) that has a new hull ($9k) and I would hope there is a less expensive and optimal solution available. I hope someone will jump in and give a "knowledgeable" answer to this question. I would assume there is a way to "weld" in the pits and sand down.

Lastly, I hope there are a few Kingscraft "lurkers" here and that you will consider registering and joining the conversation. This is a selfish request, I am sure I am going to need helpful advice and knowledge in the near future.

Wish us well on our (hopefully soon) purchase,

KC55

PS Would the name "Nice Ketch" be any good? My wife says NO
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15
    1987 Ebbtide 190 Catalina Open Bow w/Mercruiser V8

http://www.kingscrafthouseboats.com

I have found the pain in dealing with people a lot. They will do it at their own pace. I am putting my order in for all new windows tomorrow. I hope the install goes easy.

As for the pitted hull repair, I have seen most people talk of replating if it is that bad. I have also heard of some just filling in the pits. I probably had a couple small spots that could of used filling however it wasn't as bad as I thought after it got sandblasted.

Thanks for the kudos. I will be posting a lot more this winter as I have a lot planned. I try to document it as best I can so that the next person will have something to follow. The transmission work has me the most concerned as that isn't anything I'm familiar with. Now that I don't have the season creeping up on me I will buckle down and get it done.

The replacement was pretty easy. I replaced the sliding, leaky window with a fixed tinted window. I'm sure this is the easiest window to replace on the boat. I've had replacement channels for my sliding windows for 2 years now; still looking for time to install them. There is a good write up on the Marinette site about installing new channels:

http://www.marinetteboat.com/forum/y...placement.aspx

Jamie,
    I'm curious about your replacement windows. Are these self-contained units with their own frames or will they use the sliding channels of the existing windows? If they are self contained, are they made to fit the existing openings? I would love to see what these look like after installation...

Regarding galvanic corrosion, I think in some cases it's near impossible to eliminate all the causes, simply due to stray current from other sources in the marina.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    You might consider fixed windows. We owned 7 houseboats and NEVER opened the salon windows. If we wanted ventilation we opened the front and back doors. We used the air conditioner most of the time.

How many of you open your salon windows?
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Quote Originally Posted by OLD HOUSEBOATER View Post
    You might consider fixed windows. We owned 7 houseboats and NEVER opened the salon windows. If we wanted ventilation we opened the front and back doors. We used the air conditioner most of the time.

How many of you open your salon windows?
    Now that the weather is a bit chilly we will just crack them, but anytime we go away from the dock or don't require the AC we open them. With the angle of our boat dock, we get a nice breeze across the boat from Port to Starboard.

+ Reply to Thread