AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Kingscraft owners and fans

Quote Originally Posted by fisheatingbagel View Post
    Jamie,
    I'm curious about your replacement windows. Are these self-contained units with their own frames or will they use the sliding channels of the existing windows? If they are self contained, are they made to fit the existing openings? I would love to see what these look like after installation...
    They are self contained to their own frame. They will be just like your fixed window in the rear but will still function as sliders like the current windows. They will slide into the middle from both sides. I am replacing the front windows with fixed windows. Both windows have cracks in them and look ghetto. I am leaving the rear sliding window as we haven't had leaking once we kept it clean and cleared the drains. When talking with the guy at Motion Windows he recommended what you did to stop the leak. We use the back window a lot for getting in and out of the boat so we don't have to shuffle down the side. We currently have a canvas that covers the back window with a track above it. I think that if put a waterproof liner on the inside of the canvas we would have no leak. The question I have for you, does the drainage track run all the way across the bottom window sill? Or is it just where the holes in the window frame are? I would like to add a couple more drainage holes in the frame so it will drain quicker through the holes in the cabin.

The drainage track runs all the way across the bottom sill - I drilled a couple of extra holes early on, but it didn't help much. One bad side effect of these holes is it allows bugs, especially ants to get in. I had a train of them this weekend, coming in from outside.
    I recommend adding the aluminum strip at the bottom. I haven't had any leaks since doing this on my boat (knock on wood). With the angle of the back window being what it is, the height of the existing aluminum edge is just too short.

Back on track

Well I think things are back on track now for us to buy the boat. This coming weekend will tell the tale, wish us luck.

Thanks for the discussion concerning the windows, this is exactly what I was hoping would happen in this thread. It is great to know there are some people who have hands on experience with Kingscraft that I can ask questions of.

Does anyone know of either a place to get an original KC spotlight, or if that is not possible, which spotlight do you reccomend to replace the original. I have been looking at some in the $300-$350 neighborhood, but I would really like to have an original.

One more question, do you find the the "bunks" in the hallway get used that much. While we are waiting to get into the realities of houseboat ownership (maintenance, repair, weather etc.) my wife and I have been debating the merits of using that space for something else like a laundryroom/utility closet. We will be able to sleep two guests on the sleeper-sofa, so our question is whether the extra 4 sleeping spaces are worth the space?

Happy Houseboating,

KC
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15
    1987 Ebbtide 190 Catalina Open Bow w/Mercruiser V8

http://www.kingscrafthouseboats.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC55 View Post
    Well I think things are back on track now for us to buy the boat. This coming weekend will tell the tale, wish us luck.

Thanks for the discussion concerning the windows, this is exactly what I was hoping would happen in this thread. It is great to know there are some people who have hands on experience with Kingscraft that I can ask questions of.

Does anyone know of either a place to get an original KC spotlight, or if that is not possible, which spotlight do you reccomend to replace the original. I have been looking at some in the $300-$350 neighborhood, but I would really like to have an original.

One more question, do you find the the "bunks" in the hallway get used that much. While we are waiting to get into the realities of houseboat ownership (maintenance, repair, weather etc.) my wife and I have been debating the merits of using that space for something else like a laundryroom/utility closet. We will be able to sleep two guests on the sleeper-sofa, so our question is whether the extra 4 sleeping spaces are worth the space?

Happy Houseboating,

KC
    My boat doesn't have bunks so I can't really vouch for the use, but I would rather make sure I have a spot for me and maybe another couple. Anyone else can jump find a spot elsewhere.

we have all our windows open daily. we do use the air but mostly when we go to bed but any other time if were there all the windows are open. we just prefer the fresh air and or 44 executive has a ton of windows.

KC,
    My 40 had an old Tempo Marsolite spotlight. It was the traditional chrome round light. One of the servo motors was bad, and it would only go up and down. It was barely brighter than an old 2 D cell flashlight. I would love to have a Carlisle Finch spotlight, but they cost more than my boat. I settled for a http://www.golight.com/products/golight.html

Sorry, I can't really speak about the bunks - the 40 doesn't have them. Here's the layout of the main salon on Catfish
    http://public.fotki.com/dave-barker/...model/hb1.html

Thanks to all

Thanks for the responses. I am hoping to get away with just changing to the aluminum window tracks, my budget wont handle $6K for windows right now I am seriously thinking about blanking some of them over and replacing with a smaller production type window. I know that may not sound very pretty, but I think I can work it out where it will look like a factory install. I'll let you see how this progresses when the time comes. I do think I want to keep the slider functionality for most all my windows, I like a breeze.

We are not making up our minds yet, but we are leaning towards removing the bunks. We will have to see how much use they get. I really like the idea of a laundry/utility/storage/fishing gear room. We think it will mostly be us (me and the wife) and another couple or us and a couple of our grown sons. I suppose daughter-in-laws and future grand babies can alter the best laid plans. It sounds like not having bunks doesn't hinder you guys.

Fish, thanks for the heads up on the spotlight, I hope you will share with us how you feel it is working out, the value for the money spent, and whether you would buy that again knowing what you know now. Additionally, thank you for the link to your boat layout. That helps me "see'' into your description and gives me ideas about space usage. That is very professional looking, well done.

Something new. I was at the mega-store and was looking at the pex plumbing supplies. Do any of you have experience installing this on a boat. I think this is the route I am going to take but I would like to hear pros/cons if you have any. I like the idea of installing an isolation manifold to control each of the hot and cold lines. I have big plans but I will probably take my time and do it right the first time... or so I think. Your thoughts on thiese types of subjects are valuable to me, I do hope you will continue to post your thoughts and observations.

Thanks to all

KC55

PS If your wives have any had any ideas on improving boating life my wife would love to hear them!
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15
    1987 Ebbtide 190 Catalina Open Bow w/Mercruiser V8

http://www.kingscrafthouseboats.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC55 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I am hoping to get away with just changing to the aluminum window tracks, my budget wont handle $6K for windows right now I am seriously thinking about blanking some of them over and replacing with a smaller production type window. I know that may not sound very pretty, but I think I can work it out where it will look like a factory install. I'll let you see how this progresses when the time comes. I do think I want to keep the slider functionality for most all my windows, I like a breeze.

We are not making up our minds yet, but we are leaning towards removing the bunks. We will have to see how much use they get. I really like the idea of a laundry/utility/storage/fishing gear room. We think it will mostly be us (me and the wife) and another couple or us and a couple of our grown sons. I suppose daughter-in-laws and future grand babies can alter the best laid plans. It sounds like not having bunks doesn't hinder you guys.

Fish, thanks for the heads up on the spotlight, I hope you will share with us how you feel it is working out, the value for the money spent, and whether you would buy that again knowing what you know now. Additionally, thank you for the link to your boat layout. That helps me "see'' into your description and gives me ideas about space usage. That is very professional looking, well done.

Something new. I was at the mega-store and was looking at the pex plumbing supplies. Do any of you have experience installing this on a boat. I think this is the route I am going to take but I would like to hear pros/cons if you have any. I like the idea of installing an isolation manifold to control each of the hot and cold lines. I have big plans but I will probably take my time and do it right the first time... or so I think. Your thoughts on thiese types of subjects are valuable to me, I do hope you will continue to post your thoughts and observations.

Thanks to all

KC55

PS If your wives have any had any ideas on improving boating life my wife would love to hear them!
    I think the aluminum tracks would be a good way to go. I only decided to go with the replacement windows as that was our final choice. You can get the windows tented as they are. I know a lot of people that put PEX on their boat. That is what I will be replacing my plumbing with this winter as well. From what I can tell, that should be a fairly quick job to complete for me. We have 2 sinks and the shower.

I've thought about replacing the smaller sliders in the main cabin with tinted Lexan. This would be straightforward; replace the aluminum tracks with angle aluminum and fasten the Lexan to that with SS screws and rubber gasket.

I think PEX is the way to go. The plumbing on my boat works pretty well, so that's one thing I haven't had to mess with much (other than replacing the water pump motor).

The golight has worked well, just wish it was brighter. It is well built, and the wired remote works well. I don't think you can get too bright with a spotlight. golight has an HID version of their light that is brighter. I've thought about swapping in an HID conversion for mine. I have a handheld HID Stanley light that I use when coming into the marina after dark, and it puts the golight to shame ;-(

My wife loves boating, and the boat so I haven't had to work hard in this area :-) Our kids are still young enough to enjoy being on the boat, and as long as they are happy my wife is happy. We have a favorite spot on the river where we usually dock, and we enjoy hanging out there. We keep kayaks on the boat and get them out on occasion.
    We overnight occasionally on the boat, and it makes life easier to keep as much "overnight" stuff on the boat as possible. But we still seem to drag a lot of stuff to the boat. So lots of storage on the boat is key, especially storage that can be accessed easily. We keep some linen and bedding under the bunks in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by fisheatingbagel View Post
    I've thought about replacing the smaller sliders in the main cabin with tinted Lexan. This would be straightforward; replace the aluminum tracks with angle aluminum and fasten the Lexan to that with SS screws and rubber gasket.

I think PEX is the way to go. The plumbing on my boat works pretty well, so that's one thing I haven't had to mess with much (other than replacing the water pump motor).

The golight has worked well, just wish it was brighter. It is well built, and the wired remote works well. I don't think you can get too bright with a spotlight. golight has an HID version of their light that is brighter. I've thought about swapping in an HID conversion for mine. I have a handheld HID Stanley light that I use when coming into the marina after dark, and it puts the golight to shame ;-(

My wife loves boating, and the boat so I haven't had to work hard in this area :-) Our kids are still young enough to enjoy being on the boat, and as long as they are happy my wife is happy. We have a favorite spot on the river where we usually dock, and we enjoy hanging out there. We keep kayaks on the boat and get them out on occasion.
    We overnight occasionally on the boat, and it makes life easier to keep as much "overnight" stuff on the boat as possible. But we still seem to drag a lot of stuff to the boat. So lots of storage on the boat is key, especially storage that can be accessed easily. We keep some linen and bedding under the bunks in the back.
    Fish,

I just looked at your renovation pics again. I am looking at putting wood flooring in our as well. What did you use? Also, how did you manage the hatch inside the front door and the ones in the rear of the boat for the transmissions? Could you take some pictures for me?

+ Reply to Thread