Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16
FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Kingscraft owners and fans

That one was a bust too

Well, if anybody is still reading, the KC we looked at Thursday was not a good value. There were many pluses but they were outweighed by the minuses. It is interesting how many people will give you a description and pictures but reality doesn't match reality.

We had started to reconsider the 44'ers and found a whale of a del on one but then we talked to a guy (whose opinion we value) and he said the early (70, 71, & 72) 44' KC's tend to be bow heavy. I had never heard this, but this was a former owner and hardcore boating type. We are in pursuit of two different 55's right now and I may know something for sure by Mon. evening.

If you have replaced your plastic window tracks on your KC (past or present) with the three track aluminum Marinette tracks, please post here and tell us your experience. I am thinking I will be looking at this project on either of the two boats we are looking at now.

We have really had to expand our geographic horizon to continue to pursue our boat. I never dreamed we would be this involved and persistant in finding a boat.

By the way, we went to look at a 18' deep V inboard w/sterndrive Starcraft runabout today. It needs work but we made an offer (which they are considering), and we hope to be able to get it as a "yacht" tender/taxi/playtoy/dog-business boat. It's a 1975 aluminum boat, I hope this is a good choice.

Well, all for now,

KC55
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15
    1987 Ebbtide 190 Catalina Open Bow w/Mercruiser V8

http://www.kingscrafthouseboats.com

Was the KC in Cincy white with red stripes?

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    "he said the early (70, 71, & 72) 44' KC's tend to be bow heavy"

Not true if equipped with twins. The 44's were a well balanced boat in all lengths. The 44 was/is the most popular length. Truly forever boats. We owned 2, a 47 and a 48.

There are a larger percentage of KingsCraft still in use than any other brand. This is due to their aluminum construction and quality of build. They are the #1 prospect for rebuilding/refurbushing. Another fact is that their style is timeless.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

OHB , you seem to know alot about the kingscrafts, i saw one in michigan for sale a couple years ago. it was advertised as a 63footer. i called the guy and his wife said it was indeed a 63.have you ever heard of one before? thanks
    Last edited by 42gibson; 10-14-2012 at 11:17 AM.

JTAlberts - Yes the cincy boat was the one with red stripes. Nice boat but issues and price ruled it out for us. I would have made an offer but I didn't want to make the very nice owner upset. There are some real upsides to that boat if you can get it at the right price. I was salivating over the 20kw diesel genny. There are 2 44'ers in the same marina, I asked a local guy to try and get me the owner's numbers so I could call and talk with them.

OHB - I will definetly bow to your experience owning the Kingscraft, I love them, I was just going by what a marine professional had told me. I am glad to hear you step up and set the record straight. I will probably put them back on my possibility list. I saw a 47'er listed and called them the same nite, it turned out to be a 44', I was really excited to go see it. I hope I run into one of the rare ones someday.

I am out of state looking at a couple of KC's, I really have high hopes this time. Maybe I can even find one that will make my name (KC55) make sense.

Best wishes,

KC55
    Last edited by KC55; 10-13-2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: spelling
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15

What issues did you see with the red one? I am just curious as I saw the large price tag and figured it was pristine. I had actually talked about looking at it.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    I don't know of KingsCraft houseboats over 55'. However they built some cruisers that might have included a 63. I heard talk of a streched 55 but I always thought it was a rumor. They also built commercial and military speciality units.

A close friend of mine has a beautiful 36' cruiser he bought new in 1973. It is in Mint condition and shines like a new penny.

The only downside to most KC's is that there is not enough hull depth for a cuddy.
    Last edited by OLD HOUSEBOATER; 10-14-2012 at 09:16 PM.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

KC

Don't be so quick to drool over that diesel gen. Diesel gens are not ignition protected and should not be installed in a gas engine room. I have a friend that had to replace a diesel gen with gas on a newly purchased boat when it failed survey and was uninsurable because of the diesel gen not being ign protected.

Good luck with your search and don't settle for a glass boat like a Gibson. You will be sorry later if you do. I would listen to OHB's advice, having owned 2 Kings and a Plucke he knows what he is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by OLD HOUSEBOATER View Post
    I don't know of KingsCraft houseboats over 55'. However they built some cruisers that might have included a 63. I heard talk of a streched 55 but I always thought it was a rumor. They also built commercial and military speciality units.

A close friend of mine has a beautiful 36' cruiser he bought new in 1973. It is in Mint condition and shines like a new penny.

The only downside to most KC's is that there is not enough hull depth for a cuddy.
    if i can remeber the sight i saw it on i'll forward the pic. i know it was in michigan though and if i'm not mistaken it was harrison twp.it did however look like it had a extension welded in ahead of the engine compartment.thats what puzzled me at the time it looked so much like the 55 but you could see something different. now i have a winter project.....finding it again

Closing tomorrow

Many details to follow probably Wednesday. I am Happy. I know I have a lot to learn. But that is why I'm here. I will have some info that will be of interest to Kingscraft fans, brochures etc.
    I am posting this from my phone so I'll make it short.

see you soon
    KC55
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15

+ Reply to Thread