Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16
FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Kingscraft owners and fans

we have a 2nd complete bath. we never have used it. even when someone stays over they always use the main head.then at the end of the year its something else to winterize. i guess its just a matter of preference.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    You don't need it.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Thank you

That is the kind of response that makes this forum great. We are leary of making changes we might regret, but when experience speaks we try to listen. My wife really wants to "open up" the forward area of the boat and I like the idea. Thanks again.

Now, another question. The main head on our 55' is Starboard, and the shower/bath is on the left as you enter the main door. The end wall of the shower blocks a great deal of the window and leaves a weird sort of unusable space to the left of the sink. My question is this- would removing the original shower/tub and replacing it with a corner shower (I think it's called a neo angle shower) be a good idea? Have any of you done this? My wife and I agree the tub doesn't seem big enough or really useful for us, we both take showers. I believe it would really open up the head and expose more of the window to the room. I would really appreciate your thoughts (and pictures would be awesome). Again, thanks for reading this and thanks for your thoughts.
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15
    1987 Ebbtide 190 Catalina Open Bow w/Mercruiser V8

http://www.kingscrafthouseboats.com

I'm a tub user and we had the opposit problem on our 48. We had to fit in a small RV tub. If you don't use the tub, by all means, get rid of it.

Does your 55 have the notch accross from the galley? This makes an Ideal laundry. A stack washer and dryer and folding closet doors make this a cheap and useful use of a wasted space.

Tub, Shower and Gas

Thanks to OHB on the tub advice, We are pretty sure the 1/2 bath (head) is going away. Thanks also for the advice on the "notch", we dont really need the sleeping space and we are trying to figure that space out also. Your comments are truly valued by myself and my wife.

I talked to a bathroom guy and he suggested we build our own corner shower. This is something I can do (remodeled and tiled our main bathroom at home) and save money. All we are waiting for is our boat to get here to start measuring.

Now for the gas... we took our runabout out for the first time today. Awesome, awesome, awesome except for one thing . Gas. Even though the boat is new to us, I had asked if there were any issues. None. Well, we ran out of gas on the Ohio River. Fortunately we had been out for about 2 hours and we were back at the ramp getting ready to load (still showing just under 1/2 full). It wasn't a nightmare but I was plenty embarrassed. If anybody asks you, YOU CAN load a 19' boat by hand with no gas! It all worked and we are home safe. One thing for sure, I guess it could get worse, but I don't think it will get worse than today. In case you were wondering, we loved it. We have been waiting for months to ride in "our" boat. Today we did it. Tomorrow is sending unit, maybe another ride, and then winterizing.

We are boaters now.
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15

Glad to hear you made it back and got the boat loaded, KC55. We have run out of gas on every boat we've owned, including the Kingscraft 40 :-)
    I think it's a good (but painful) experience in getting to know your boat - how far you can go on the gas you have in the tank, how accurate the gauges are, how to get more gas, who to call, etc.

Yet another delay

So I called my hauler today after he did not respond to a text for 3 hours. I was going to touch base and make sure he was picking up his new trailer today and on the way to pick up our 55' KC this weekend. Nope, he said he had told me it was going to be after Thanksgiving before we get the boat. After a brief and not so happy discussion I agreed to continue to let him do the job. I just want to say, if you are getting a boat hauled, don't hesitate to get a written contract beforehand. I went with a highly recommended hauler and let his good reputation make the determination for me. I still trust everything is going to work out, but this has put a sour taste in my mouth. My three grown sons will all be coming in for the holiday and the boat will not be here. I would never have agreed to this had I known the boat wasn't going to be delivered by now. It was originally supposed to be picked up no later than Nov. 1st.

I am going to just relax and think about the fact that this shouldn't cause any harm for us other than a frustrating delay. I know everybody can't always do things the way they want. My hope is in the end I will have had a good experience overall with this hauler and be able to recommend him. I just wish I had had a contract with him.

Oh well, at least I get to see all my boys together for the first time in quite a while.

I sure wish I was posting measurements, plans, questions, and getting going on our "redecorating".
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15

I know the feeling. I had to wait 3 months to get my boat moved. The river just wouldn't cooperate.

Firm date set

I talked to the hauler yesterday and he is going to be in Minn. at the Marina, Monday morning to pick up the boat. We had a short civil conversation and I believe my boat will be here Wednesday (+/- 1 day). I realize I have been whining about this for a month, sorry to put you all through this. I didn't intend for this to be a chronicle of the trials and travails of my learning experience.

We are almost at the point where we can't get excited about seeing the boat until we actually see it. If that makes sense. We are still just as eager to get started on our "Winter work", hopefully we can start posting some good Kingscraft information/questions. I will post as soon as we see our "baby", "Empty Nestin' ".

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving, we did. We got to see all three of our grown sons (doing well) and our extended family including my Mother( and 2 new babies of a niece and a nephew).

Good Sailing.
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15

1. I replaced a couple of tracks on our 47 - can't remember where I got them. They were plastic - not the black fuzzy stuff. IF YOU KEEP THE DRAINS CLEAR you won't have leaks.

2. IMHO this is way to many pieces to rattle loose. Kings Crafts system of welded in place rails is hard to beat. If you have bent or missing rails I would STRONGLY suggest you bite the bullet and replace/repair as original. If you have everything precut a good welder can do a complete job in 4 to 8 hours if you help him. I assume you would like to add height to the rails on the top deck.

3. If you ae not gaining any water you can assume your tank isn't leaking. There is really no way to visually inspect the tank that I know of. There is a lot of advice on cleaning and maintaining your water tank. Peggy Hall's procedure is as good as any. We always filled the tank and used the boat system. We never hooked up directly to the hose. This kept fresh water in the tank and eleminated the possibility of sinking due to a inadvertant water leak. I know where your coming from on this but other than going through 2 or 3 flushings you don't have any other options that aren't expensive. I would suggest that IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!!!!!!

We had a Pur filter on the faucet used for drinking. HOWEVER my wife always drank bottled water. I drank the filtered tank water.

4. My buddy lengthend the platform on his 36 KC cruiser. He just added pieces that matched the design of the existing platform and welded them on. He lengthend it a foot and didn't need aditional bracing. Looked factory when he got it done. Cut the pieces and use the same welder that does your rail repair.

I am trying HARD NOT TO head up to Ohio and get into the $15K 55. That puppy has my name written all over it. I love KC's and really enjoy the refurbishing process.

Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread