Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16
FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Kingscraft owners and fans

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    1. I replaced the tracks in my 48 with plastic. Don't remember where I got them - think it was an RV supplier. Keeping the drains open will prevent water leaking inside.

2. Too many pieces to rattle loose. UGLY!!!! KC's welded rails can't be beat. STRONGLY suggest you replace the missing/damaged with same as original. You probably want to tallerize your upper deck railings. If you have everything cut and fit, ahead of time, a good welder should be able to do whatever in 3 to 6 hours.

3. If tank is not taking on water you don't have any leaks. (GOOD) There aren't any inspection hatches (NOT SO GOOD). Follow Peggy Hall's cleaning instructions 2 or 3 times and Install a Pur or Britta filter on the faucet you drink out of. Your then good to go. NOTE: IT AIN' T BROKE DON'T FIX IT. This was one of KC's better ideas - lots of water storage in an unusable space and adds stability to the boat.

If you get over the fear in your mind you aren't going to get sick. If you do I was wrong. I always drank tank water, my wife drank bottled.

Fill your tank and use the ships system 100% and you will always have good water. I was always leery about hooking up dock water to the boat because of possible leaks developing and sinking the boat.

4. My friend added a foot to his platform on his 36' KC cruiser without adding additional braces. He fabricated pieces and added them to the original. (While on the hard) Looked factory when he was done. Get every thing ready and have the welder do the job when he repairs the rails.

Note: Some Kings Crafts were equipped with bronze cased cutlass bearings. This resulted in heavy loss of metal around lower portion of strut due to electrolysis. If yours are in bad condition have your welder build them back up and replace bearings with fiberglass cased units.
    Last edited by OLD HOUSEBOATER; 11-24-2012 at 03:04 PM.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow is the day. The boat, our boat, is supposed to be here about 3:00PM. I am not holding my breath, but this is starting to get exciting. This will be the first time my wife sees the Kingscraft. I hope to take plenty of pictures. I will definitely keep you updated.

OHB- thanks again for your advice. Your experience is invaluable, I hope you do consider the 55' in Cincinnati. If I hadn't bought mine, I think I would be seriously checking that one out.

One other thing! Ta da- I finally got around to getting a place to post pictures and documentation on KC Houseboats. http://www.kingscrafthouseboats.com is the new website. It is nothing fancy, but I will be working on it. If you have any suggestions please feel free to comment. I hope you will want to contribute pictures and any information on our obsession More will be coming soon. I also put a link back to this forum, I hope that is okay.

Thanks for all of your comments, PM's, and interest shown.

KC
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15
    1987 Ebbtide 190 Catalina Open Bow w/Mercruiser V8

http://www.kingscrafthouseboats.com

keep us posted kc. i hope it arrives so you can get to work. you'll have a great timne with it.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Nope

Well, it's 6:00PM local time and the boat is not here. He told me 3:00 and he told the Marina 4:00 or 5:00. I had to contact the hauler to get any information. Now he says it will be tomorrow morning before he can make it here. And he wants cash for the balance. I won't be recommending him to anyone in the future.

What should be an evening of enjoyment and fun is now turned into extreme frustration and worry for no good reason. I am glad I did not start my journey into the boating world dealing with this guy. I don't think I would be a boat owner if I had. I can't wait until I am done dealing with him.

wish us luck
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15

77 47 and 77 48

Both of these were projects. Both are rare, the 48 has Volvo Diesels. I havent seen another of either.

Feel free to post these to your website.

Last edited by OLD HOUSEBOATER; 11-29-2012 at 04:43 PM.

they both look good OHB, we found a strange one last summer @ smugglers cove in warsaw ky. i'm not sure of the year but the owner said it was a 42 foot. it was all one floor 15 wide.according to him it was a special build for a doctor at the time.
    Last edited by 42gibson; 11-30-2012 at 03:06 AM.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Finally

Our boat arrived today, thank goodness. It seems like forever, but I know it was just a little while. No problems to speak of, the upper steering line is pinched closed and the boat almost tipped forward off of the temporary jacks while she was being blocked, but I am happy for now. My wife got to see the boat for the first time today and she is pleased. She was impressed with how clean and nice the exterior looks. She is already going a little crazy on the possibilities for interior renovation. We have a lot of decisions on the changes we want to make and the changes we need to avoid.

One neat thing that happened today, as we were going through the boat I found a note from the former owner. I left it on the boat but it goes something like this. " Oct. 16, 2012, To the new owner, Today is a sad day. I sold my boat today. I have had her for 25 years and she has been a good boat. I hope you enjoy her. Captain XXX. River Captain" I left his name out to protect his privacy. I really felt good when I saw this, he left it inside an old notebook which I almost threw away. I know this boat meant a lot to him, what better endorsement could you ask for. He must have left the note after I drove away the last day I was in Minn. He was an actual Coast Guard certified Captain and really knew how to handle her. I hope someday I can do as well with her as I witnessed him doing.

The first thing will be building some access stairs. Then I want to get some moss cleaned off of the carpet (exterior) and get the window frames and windows cleaned and sliding smoothly. This could be a busy winter. I will be posting pictures on my website soon.

By the way, thank you OHB for the beautiful pictures. I have already posted them to the website, I hope you feel I did them justice. If you have any others I would love to post them also.

This was a great day overall, especially since I got to be with my wife on-board the "Empty Nestin' ". She makes owning a boat a lot less scary and a whole lot more fun.

Fair winds,

KC55
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15

Stairs built

So Sunday I spent about 5 hours designing, cutting lumber and pre-drilling bolt holes for the stairs. We (wife and me) took everything down to the boat and spent 1 hour assembling the stairs and installing steps. They are 3 foot wide and have a handrail. They are level and plumb and very sturdy. All weather construction. That's out of the way and will be a big time saver. Deck of boat is approx. 7'6".

Tonight I went and talked to the Marina owner and am getting a quote on building and installing a hitch for our runabout. I will post design and pics when we get that far. He liked the idea. He also installed an outlet outside so we can have power and lights. I am buying one 30 amp outlet so we can have "shore power" while dry-docked. The Marina owner is a fantastic guy, real genuine and small town. We are lucky to have found him.

Next comes cleaning. The windows, window tracks, and indoor/outdoor carpet. Not glamorous but it will make things much nicer. Hopefully I will get this done before Friday. I want to save the weekend for whatever project my wife comes up with. I just have a feeling she will have something in mind by then

I have posted new pics at the website, I hope you will drop by and check them out. I spent about an hour in the pitch dark interior ( didn't bring extension cords and lights yet) taking a bunch of "before" pictures. I hope you like them, I am a little obsessed. http://www.kingscrafthouseboats.com

Fair winds,

KC55
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15

Did they haul the boat with the bridge on?

Flybridge was off

OHB, the flybridge was off for transport. The hauler was supposed to fill the srew holes (for the railing) with caulk for the trip to prevent rain from getting in. He did not. It didn't rain and I covered the holes with duct tape. I want to do some cleaning around the mounting bases before I screw it back down. The steering line (copper tubing) got crimped by the hauler. I don't think it will be a big deal for me to fix it, I do work like that frequently. I may even change the line out with a rubber hose designed for that application.

He did reinstall the flybridge but I just wanted to be done dealing with him. He was very nice in person but after all the delays, the flybridge issues and the boat nearly tipping forward off of the jacks I was just fine taking care of the particulars myself.

We are going down tonight to make a few measurements on the boat. I will try to start cleaning the window tracks. Anyone with experience of ordering the aluminum tracks from Marinette and installing them, I would appreciate it if you piped in about now . I will take some exterior shots and post them to my webpage.

By the way, I started a blog (thanks for the idea JTAlberts) on the website. I hope anyone with interest will read and comment. I wanted to start a Journal of our experiences in Houseboating. JT would you mind if I put a link to your blog on my page? Let me know.

By the way, I just want to say again--- get your agreement in writing with the Hauler, it may be uncomfortable up-front but it will save you major worry down the road. I would suggest time limits with $$$ penalties for late or faulty performance. This may be overboard (no pun intended) but I wish I had. What do you all think?

I hope if you live somewhere warm you are on the water right now, I wish we were!

KC55
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15

+ Reply to Thread