Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16
FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: Kingscraft owners and fans

shower &vanity

Shower enclosure (cultured marble) & vanity installed. Ceiling is next. And shelving. Hoping to get some info about a Welder out of Louisville soon. Pics on website soon. The wife's happiness factor went way up.
    Later
    KC55
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15
    1987 Ebbtide 190 Catalina Open Bow w/Mercruiser V8

http://www.kingscrafthouseboats.com

I tested the epoxy paint for water leaks, no drips anywhere in the flybridge roof. Did discover that the exterior joint between walls and catwalks needs to be recaulked. The welder never returned our call. This is the most encouraged we've been fot a while. Fresh paint is great.
    Also got some water skiing in at Lake Monroe.
    Later
    KC55
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15

I love the idea of the pocket door. You have me thinking about doing that if I need to rip out my bathroom for the fuel tanks.

We finished painting the lower roof, dew settled early and made a lot of "flat" areas in the lower roof finish. I am planning on doing a speckle effect (blue) on the roofs and deck so it won't matter. Lesson learned...apply epoxy paint early in the day on cooler days.

We got the chance to go out on a different 55' KC last weekend. She was beautiful, the Ohio River was very nice, and being with new friends was the best part of it all. We are reenergized to work on our boat. I will try to make a detailed posting on my blog very soon about our recent work and fun.

I have seen 2 - 44' KC's advertised recently for $3000 -$3500 stripped. I want to encourage you to seek opportunities like this if you are interested in houseboating. We would have been better off going this route, but we had to live and learn

Happy fall boating,
    Last edited by KC55; 09-26-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Spelling and such
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15

Winter sailing? :)

I can't believe two months have passed since my last post. We have made progress, but it has been slow. We are still struggling with needing welding done, but I have done something about it now. We purchased a welder from Everlast and are happy with it. I am teaching myself to tig weld aluminum, not an easy proposition. We are heading into a wintry run of weather, but are looking forward to getting the welding done and getting back in gear.

Just a note, the propane frig is in, the replacement cultured marble trim is onboard, and the galley has been torn out. Thank goodness for propane heaters! I could have never believed a year ago we would still be at this. I know some of the old hands here will chuckle when they read this, it was arrogant of me to think I could have had this all finished by now.

Still lovin' our baby and lovin' working on it. It is a lot easier with a good partner, which I have.

Happy Ice skating to you and yours.

KC55
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15

What are you welding?

Weld what?

JT

Sorry, I get so caught up in what has been done and what needs to be done that I forget what I have posted here or on my webpage. I'll try to explain the welding. So... the upper deck over the galley and head and stateroom, has handrails that run the entire starboard and port side and wrap around and protect you from falling off the aft end of the upper deck. This is not to be confused with the flybridge deck. Anyway, unknown to me when we purchased the boat, the starboard rail had been hit and bent over to some degree. Whatever it hit did not come into contact with the side of the boat. The handrail had been bent back into it's original position (somewhat successfully). If you look at the bottom of the rails that support the handrail you will see that Kingscraft had welded small aluminum pads (approx. 1 1/2" x 3") to the deck, and the support rails were welded on to this at a slight angle (to avoid welding directly to the thinner upper deck aluminum surface). If you are still following me, the pads had been bent up (tearing them from the decking) and had torn the original weld (all aluminum). Somebody had caulked these back in place and several very small leaks had ensued over the years. Very small leaks. So small they wouldn't be noticed during normal rains, but noticeable when tearing out the interior. We noticed this one day when it had rained for over 24 hours straight.

Anyway, I hope that this will explain what I am going to be doing. Welding on the top of the boat to stop leaks. Thanks for asking.

My best to you and yours,

KC55
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15

+ Reply to Thread