AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17
FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Thread: Kingscraft owners and fans

A little update

Yep, still chugging along

I have been horrible about keeping up with our progress. The upper cabinets are finished and the base cabinets are installed. My wife just finished sanding the base cabinet face frames and staining the doors. I haven't built the drawers yet. The ceilings in the galley/dining area are done as well as the lighting in that area. In case I didn't mention it, almost all of the lighting is 12VDC led. There is luan down in the galley awaiting vinyl plank flooring. The side walls in the salon are finished as well as 90 percent of the salon ceiling. I have some electrical/control/lighting left to do before closing up the rest of the ceiling. It is nice seeing very little green insulation. Everything was green for a long time, way too long.

The walls in the salon are pine bead board. The walls in the galley/dining area are either maple or painted wood paneling (white). I learned a beginners lesson, do not use cheap paneling. We really got it for the looks, but humidity is not kind to pressed wood products. I feel sheepish admitting this mistake. I have torn out most of the paneling and replaced it. It feels real warm and fuzzy paying for and installing paneling and then tearing it out and paying for new. Not to mention double the labor. At least I had some sweet templates The walls aren't warped now.

Tons of wiring have been completed. Marine rated wiring is expensive. I plan on ordering new battery cabling this week. June 1st is the target day for beginning seaworthiness work. Complete all control wiring, tune engines, test all bilges, blowers, and genny, etc. I've got a few connections in the flybridge for the steering left to do (all of them). I'm converting the flybridge to a quick disconnect system. I probably won't need it very often, but it will be a real nice feature when done.

One other quick update. I had purchased a composting toilet a while back and have used it over some months. I think it is great. Very little work involved, no odor and I can move it about. That may not sound important or interesting, but during construction, it has made the head a good workstation. I slip the toilet in the shower area (still usable) and the entire floor in front of the vanity is usable. I plan on leaving the toilet in the shower except for showers. It's called a C Head. Clever name, great product, nice company.

Best wishes,
    KC55
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15
    1987 Ebbtide 190 Catalina Open Bow w/Mercruiser V8

http://www.kingscrafthouseboats.com

It still floats

I haven't been regular about updates (and it probably doesn't hurt too many people's feelings), but I wanted to let everyone know: We are back on the water. We launched about 9:30 - 10:00 this morning. Pretty well went without a hitch. Both engines fired up nicely and we powered off of the trailer. I made a quick little circle on the river and pulled up to our dock. About 15 minutes for the "maiden voyage". I have minimal systems on-line, and much to still do. We ended up going out two more times, once for 30 minutes and the last time for 45-60 minutes. The Port engined died at low idle at the end of the second trip and wouldn't fire back up. It took some starting fluid but she fired back to life and I sat and idled her for 15 minutes and then start-stop-started her. The last trip out was flawless except for needing to bleed the hydraulic steering, the steering was a little "loose" and I think a little bit of air in the system had settled out to a high point (main helm). The steering responded nicely to the bleed-off and now has a good 5 1/2 turns lock-to-lock.

All of the warnings you all wisely gave me fell on deaf ears. I now know what you all meant, I too had to learn the hard way. I have begun to pay my dues. It's not just money or time, the emotional toll and the wear and tear on relationships are the real price. Luckily I have a great wife and we made it through.

Thanks for reading, I hope it has been a little interesting. This is a great place to have the opportunity to learn without the blood sweat and tears.

Smooth sailing,
    KC55
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15

Awesome to hear. Getting her on the water will give you the extra juice to push through.

We had 5 great weeks.

Port engine now has overheat issue.

I had no idea I was a marine engine mechanic, I hope I'm decent at it!
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15

+ Reply to Thread