Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting ready for Winter

Getting ready for Winter

Hello All, I am getting ready to winterize my 1996 Lakeview with twin 350's and a Westerbeke generator. Aside from the obvious, anti-freeze, oil and filter change, fuel filter. Any other suggestions? The boat stay's in the water year round so not alot I can do with the outdrives. Any thoughts will be helpful. Thanks

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    You didn't fill out your profile so we don't know where you boat. If your a newbie check and see what your neighbors do and follow their lead. Winterizing is area specific. Northern areas involve more items than southern.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

What type of outdrives? You should be greasing them - you can do it in the water.

Once you have winterized, make sure you pull the keys or disable the engines so that they cannot be started by mistake.

What are your thoughts about refueling at end of season? We've had our first boat for less than a month. The tanks are around 3/8 full. Leave till next year or fill up now?

Quote Originally Posted by Zilpo55 View Post
    What are your thoughts about refueling at end of season? We've had our first boat for less than a month. The tanks are around 3/8 full. Leave till next year or fill up now?
    I've heard mixed things. I top off and add Stabilizer. Also the Stabil we add is made to reduce the issues with Ethanol.

Dealing with slightly older fuel is much preferred to water/condensate in the tanks.

I always top up...

I've been told that condensation forms in the tanks when they're not full, which of course is water. Watered-down gas is bad. Fill your tanks up for the winter and put plenty of Stabil in them.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

I read a very interesting article on this a couple of years ago - I wish I had kept it. The article was based on pure math. If you take the volume of empty space in a partially filled fuel tank and the relative humidity of the air and an assumed exchange percentage for each day and the dew point and apply the math over a typical winter, you will get maybe a cup of water. You are not going to get gallons and gallons of water in your tanks based on condensation.

So, like most things boating - do what makes you feel good.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    More important to suck off the bottom of your tank, in the spring, every 2 years.

This insures that you won't suck up nasties that lurk in the bottom wating to getcha.

Most fuel pickups are about an inch off the bottom of the tank.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

+ Reply to Thread