AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New to houseboating

Threaded View

New to houseboating

We are looking for our first houseboat and need some advice.We are looking at Two different Gibsons tomorrow. A 1982 Lazycruz 50' single volvo penta 145a and 280 outdrive ,no generator at present . Great top, dry bilge area, and dry through out boat. needs updating pretty much orginal.cabin to deck seals all good and no sign of any leaks.In covered slip hasnt been out in couple of years. The other is a 12x 36 Gibson ,twin 440 chryslers v drive, generator,again pretty orginal 1982,again needs updating and dry hull. covered slip.good top with operating Flybridge. i have a shot at either .Its me and my wife ,with two grown sons and 3 grandskids. I am very mechanical and have remodled houses. from what i can see the hulls(fiberglass) look nice inside and out. I can get either in the 13000- to 15000 range.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Single engine houseboats are a bear to handle. When you learn how your a better boater than most. Also very economical.

The 36 with twin 440s is a hot rod and a heck of a lot of fun. You can pull a bunch of skiers if you can afford the fuel.

The baby Volvo is tough to get parts for. Especially carbs and manifolds.
    The 440s are expensive to recondition and manifolds are scarce, but should last your period of ownership.

You picked 2 unusual boats to evaluate. Suggestion. If your into glass, look for a 42 or 44 Gibson with 350s and Vee drives. 350s are cheap to maintain and service is available every where.

A 44 is 14 feet wide tons more room than a 12 wide 42.

Here's the deal - buy the biggest boat you can swing and it will prevent you from having to buy what you really wanted a year from now.

Read the Newbies warning sticky at the top of this section !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by OLD HOUSEBOATER; 09-22-2012 at 07:57 PM.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

And do read the Newbie thing OHB is referring to.

Survey, Survey, Out of Water Survey!!

Look at 14' beam before you choose a 12'. Big difference.

Got a chance to take a good look at the Lazy cruz today. Crawled from front to back , was powder dry no sign of ever being wet. sounded each stringer ,and along knell with hammer. All sounded sharp and solid. transom was solid and very dry. Engine ran fine and strong,but outdrive wouldnt shift into reverse,could be linkage problem.Inside is in good shape just dated.Only one soft spot on deck(dinner plate size) at corner of rear cabin ,we pull paneling back and didnt look to bad easy fix. Can't get a suvey till next week at earliest. i have a guy that told me he would pull the boat check outdrive and put it back in for $800 plus parts for the drive,he doesnt think it is much of a problem.I can get the boat for 12000 and keep the covered slip. i dont want to be stupid ,but another guy wants it too and i have till wednesday to let them know.

Avoid outdrives... Vee Drives are your friend..

Deck softspots are bad...

There are tons of boats for sale... take your time, you'll find the perfect boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakebg View Post
    Got a chance to take a good look at the Lazy cruz today. Crawled from front to back , was powder dry no sign of ever being wet. sounded each stringer ,and along knell with hammer. All sounded sharp and solid. transom was solid and very dry. Engine ran fine and strong,but outdrive wouldnt shift into reverse,could be linkage problem.Inside is in good shape just dated.Only one soft spot on deck(dinner plate size) at corner of rear cabin ,we pull paneling back and didnt look to bad easy fix. Can't get a suvey till next week at earliest. i have a guy that told me he would pull the boat check outdrive and put it back in for $800 plus parts for the drive,he doesnt think it is much of a problem.I can get the boat for 12000 and keep the covered slip. i dont want to be stupid ,but another guy wants it too and i have till wednesday to let them know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakebg View Post
    Got a chance to take a good look at the Lazy cruz today. ............ ,but another guy wants it too and i have till wednesday to let them know.
    Why do you have till Wed.?
    Is the seller giving you till Wed?
    I am selling my boat and the first one to put money down owns it. I wouldn't wait and risk losing a sale. Anyway, I am probably misunderstanding.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    You will try to sell it in a year or less.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Why do you think that ? I know i'm new to this and value your experience, i'm open to all sugguestions. Projects dont scare me,that part of the fun!

I was the first to call and look at it. I worked around the seller's time to look at it. Just a decent guy i guess.

+ Reply to Thread