Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New to houseboating

Congratulations!!!!

Congrats! It's a pleasure to welcome another victim to this addiction called houseboats....

Quote Originally Posted by Jakebg View Post
    Well i bit the bullet and bought my first houseboat. A 1982 Gibson Lazycruz 50' with a single volvo 145a and 280 outdrive. I know it will be a pig to drive,but hey its big. So the fun begins on the remod. It is dry and really solid has spent the last several years under cover and got a great slip with the boat. So the questions will begin shortly!

Congrats

Jakebg,

I am happy for you, and envious. My wife and I are looking for a boat and hope to join you soon as new houseboaters.

I look forward to your coming questions, not as a teacher but as a learner. I hope you will share your ongoing story and provide many pictures of your new baby. I wish you the best in this pursuit of joy.

KC55
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15
    1987 Ebbtide 190 Catalina Open Bow w/Mercruiser V8

http://www.kingscrafthouseboats.com

Looking forward to the maiden voyage post !!!

Well, i spent these past 4 days pressure washing and scrubbing the outside,tearing out carpet and cleaning. Figuring out what systems work and dont work. The boat had a new 110 gal poly fresh water tank and a new 38 gal holding tank (hope its big enough) put in place. they were only half installed. All the lights ,plugs, stove, frig. work on the AC side . The DC side I havent checked yet. Paint is bought for the inside and new flooring. One roof air looks to work ok, the other one i think the motor in shot ( just buzzs). the scary part is the thin has 5 sea-cocks in it.3 intake and 2 dump. From 1/2 to 1-1/2 dia. all seem to be frozen and none are ball valve type. Can't get the boat out till spring . I can hit them with penatrating lube and see it they loose up any ( dont want to force anything) and dont want to use my insurance if you know what i mean. the boat used to be in a river and they dumped everthing, we are in a no dumping lake. so the adventure continues.

The holding tank of 38 gallons should be good. While you are at it, install a fill gauge, so you know when it gets full.I used one that was "tapped" to the outside of the holding tank.

I calculate one half gallon per flush. Therefore you have about 60 to 70 flushes. Some visits to the commode take two flushes to get all the solids down.

Frozen sea cocks should be addressed on the hill, as you suspect. Forcing is known to cause complete failure.

While I've never had one, I understand the practicality of vee drives. However after reading Gibson42's post, I'm not so sure "avoid outdrives-Vee drives are your friend" is entirely accurate. If I catch an outdrive on something, it'll just raise up-- sounds preferable to having the rudder crack the hull and the prop shaft being ripped out leaving gaping holes below the waterline. And if I find I'm in shallow water, I can lift my drives to avoid hitting anything (or anything else!)
    1988 SkipperLiner 53x14
    1995 Tracker Party Cruiser 32 *for sale*
    2003 Chaparral 260 SSI
    2000 Allegro Bus 40' DP

Outdrives may have their advantages if you run in skinny or snaggy water, but if I were to go that far I'd go the whole hog and install a couple big outboards. I LIKE my inboard, and I run in shallow water all the time. In the unlikely event of losing a shaft, the stuffing box is easy enough to plug. The trick to any of them is having a SERIOUS bilge pump AND a bilge alarm. If you're sinking you want to know about it soon enough to be able to do something about it.

Another busy day on the boat. Changed all the sanitation lines and replaced the Y valve and finished hooking up the holding tank. Also cleaned out the Ratin electric toilet "YUK" hey but got it working like it should. Tomorrow moving on to the fresh water system, at least its cleaner,

Congratulations on getting the LazyCruz. I have just purchased a 42 LC. I have owned two other houseboats in my life but I like this one better than the others. One thing in particular I like is the larger front deck and the front door entrance. Although i have no cuddie, this boat fits wife and me perfect. This boat has 400 hours on it and was a live aboard boat for years. The owner (recently passed away) took immaculate care of the boat and was the second owner. I have found the maintenance records since new. As for work done, we have gutted the entire interior and replaced all carpet (it was original) with engineered hardwoods and painted the entire interior. Installed new furniture in and out and a flat panel tv with wall bracket. Mechanically, we installed new fuel pump on engine (305 V8) and the generator (6.5 Onan). One spark plug wire on Generator was quoted at over 400 bucks (almost fell out) so we made our own and it works fine. The boat had no fly bridge so I found a recently sank Silver Queen and bought the flybridge. It will remain a "dummy" bridge for looks as I have no clue what it would take to get it operational.

The only other thing needed is a less smelly toilet. We have a purisan unit that appears to be working fine but the bathroom STINKS. I have ran water through the toilet several times and put some additive / cleaner through it as well and it just stinks! If you run in to this with your boat and fix it, let me know what you do.

Post some pics of your when you can, I would love to see the progress.

+ Reply to Thread