Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cell Phone Antennas

Threaded View

Cell Phone Antennas

Next year we will be starting a new life of inland waterway cruising in the eastern waterway system.

I will probably be relying on my mobile 'Hot Spot' for internet service most of the time. I looked on e-bay and saw many different antennas and signal boosters. I have Verizon service and was wondering if any of you use any kind of antenna and signal booster and how well do they work?

So, do they have any merrit or are they just gimmicks?
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

I use www.smoothtalker.com It works good, for me.

Tony B

Look at this, http://www.amazon.com/Cellphone-Mate...ll+CM2000+40dB

I have not used it, but at work we installed an office unit by Sure Call and it works great. We went from no signal to 5 bars and internet connection on our cell phones. Please read the reviews and make sure it is returnable before you consider buying this as I have never used this model. I just wanted to put this out there as we have had such success with the office unit. I will be putting one of these on my boat next spring. Man, it feels good to say "My Boat"!

I hope whatever you decide on you will post a review here and let us know how things worked out. Best of luck on this.

KC55
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15
    1987 Ebbtide 190 Catalina Open Bow w/Mercruiser V8

http://www.kingscrafthouseboats.com

I use a Wilson Electronics booster that works pretty well. You should remember that boosters are typically used to collect a signal from somewhere that a signal exists and retransmit that signal to somewhere that it does not or is blocked; like from outside the boat to inside the boat. The booster antenna will usually provide some signal gain, but cannot pull a signal from where there is none. So, if you can't get a signal while standing on the flybridge, then a booster probably won't do any good. It's usually in the marginal areas that boosters are effective. If you're intent is data use, you should look closely at the booster capabilities.
    LongJohn
    Watts Bar Lake; Tn River

+ Reply to Thread