Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pulling my boat out of the water

Pulling my boat out of the water

Pulling my boat out of the water in the next couple of days.

I have always had a small leak somewhere in the starboard transom assembly. I blew an impeller a couple of weeks ago. When I took off all of the rubber exhaust couplers, I found out where it was. When the pressure created by the connection was taken away, I found out that the exhaust Y tube is loose where it bolts to the transom assembly. What was a cup or so of water a week became about a half a gallon a minute. I put it all back together and was able to tighten the bottom two bolts. The leak is back to a cup a week. But, now that I know where it is, I am getting it taken care of. The problem is that the motor has to be pulled in order to remove the Y tube and replace the O ring.

This will be several boating units worth of cash for a two dollar O ring.

Ouch! Those Boating Units don't get you as much as they used to. It seems like anytime you pull your boat out of the water, it costs a couple of B.U. Last time I pulled my boat, I had the outdrive serviced, put in a new gimbal bearing, new shift parts and then decided to have the engine rebuilt. Total cost for that weekend was about 6.5 B.U. Not as bad as I had expected. That's like saying the pain wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I don't regret spending money on the boat. That's just part of ownership.

I am going ahead and servicing both outdrives - bellows, gear oil, ... That is $650 in parts. It was done two yrs ago when I bought the boat, but you don't have them out of the water often, so I might as well. And, this will all be done by the local guys that have been in business here for 30 yrs.

Its all good.

Are you replacing your lower shift cables also? Cheap time to do it.

Shift cables were replaced two yrs ago. They have them in stock and will replace if they think they should be. There is also a bracket/slider piece that they are going to replace.

Well, out and back in in five hours. So far no leak. Staying the night on the boat. We will see in the morning.

No leak for about a week now. So, the three boat units seem to have done the trick.

+ Reply to Thread