SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Twenty-one
people on houseboats for a family gathering at Lake Powell were
treated for carbon-monoxide poisoning, just a few days after a
7-year-old girl drowned when she was overcome by carbon monoxide
fumes, officials said.
The odorless gas came from exhaust from
generators that were used to run air conditioners, said Marianne
Karraker, a spokeswoman for Glen Canyon National Recreation Area on
the Utah-Arizona border.
In addition to the 21 people from Utah,
Texas and Washington state who were treated July 10, three others
had been treated in a separate but similar incident earlier that
week, and a child, Megan Evans, of Flagstaff, Ariz., died after she
and a friend were exposed to fumes while swimming near boats along
the Lake Powell shore. The other child survived.
"It's hot out there, but I would tell people
to turn off those generators and open all the windows," Karraker
said. "It's playing with fire to have the generators running like
A Coast Guard advisory on boating safety
warns that boat operators should turn off "gasoline-powered
generators with transom exhaust ports when the swim platform on the
stern is in use," because of the potential for carbon monoxide to