A little late posting up, but oh well...
I decided to pull the plywood and just shim it up from the bottom. This 19/32 plywood seems to be closer to 9/16, it took a full 1/8" worth of shims to level the patch. I shoulda just bought the 23/32, but I didn't want it too thick either. Anyway, the shims worked great. BTW the Bondo-glass worked nicely. his is the first layer of bondo, after rough sanding...
Here's the second layer before sanding...
All sanded and feathered, ready for glass & resin. It's actually quite smooth, feels better than most of the factory seams, so I'm happy. As you can see from the shadow, the sun was heading over the mountains...
The wind was also kicking up pretty bad, so I did the glassing the next morning.
I hate fiberglass... Love the smell (the admiral, not so much) but I just hate working with it. I forgot rule number 1: even tho the can says "spread resin over fiberglass mat with a brush", DON'T use a brush! I don't know about anyone else but all a brush does while trying to spread resin over glass mat is pull the mat apart and make a freakin' mess. Oh, and having enough resin to start with helps... I paid $16 for a quart, had to get another quart for a second coat. For 4 more dollars than 2 quarts cost me I could've had a gallon. And the ultimate pisser, after I get done, I FOUND a brand new gallon of resin under the flybridge...
:rolleyes: ... Found it by accident while looking for a fold-up table. Oh well, just part of me & Murphy's onging relationship!
It ain't real purty but I was going for functional, since it's just going to be covered up. And for now, it'll be covered up by this roll of EPDM rubber sitting next to the patch...
The local roofing place only has this in 10' widths, I was hoping for larger, but this works. I had them cut me a 12' wide piece that will span the width of the roof...
I had to unbolt the back half of the railing and a couple of the canopy posts so we could get the rubber in place. I bought new razor blades so I could cut the rubber to fit over the railing bolts, but it turns out the railing & bolts did a fine job of poking their own holes. Pretty easy, actually. It went down nice & flat, turned out great.
The 10' extends from the edge of the cabin out back to about a foot under the canopy, well beyond any leak sources. I still have to trim the long sides and seal all the edges, and cut a new piece of blue carpet... but it got late, I got tired, no rain is forecast, so that'll be next weekend. We just put the red rug down and setup the furniture. The bar and chairs are a new addition. The bar may get moved, but where it is, it takes care of our one pesky support pole and there's still room to stand inside and act like a bartender! And, it's half in the sun and half under the canopy--perfect for us since the wife likes sun, I like shade!
Now I'm trying to decide if I want to just do the whole roof with the rubber top. It's extremely easy to work with, and pretty cheap at 68 cents a square foot. If I go with a Rhino-type topping we'll have to remove everything from the roof, and I may be in for a ton of prep. With rubber all I'll have to remove is the AC unit and the flybridge. For prep, I just have to sand down any lumps of old stuck carpet and sweep up. The railing & canopy will just have to be loosened & moved just long enough to get the rubber in place. And I have to remove the flybridge anyway so I can paint it..
BUT, not sure I want to continue with carpet. But I still have enough of the same carpet to cover the roof 2 more times or so there's no cost to worry about. Or, the EPDM will be a great non-slip surface for the Ikea stuff. Might just go buy enough to do the back section and see how it works out!
For now, I'm happy!
1988 SkipperLiner 53x14
1995 Tracker Party Cruiser 32 *for sale*
2003 Chaparral 260 SSI
2000 Allegro Bus 40' DP
06:14:07 PM by