We have a boat at my marina that has an electrical issue at this current time. I have been trying to convince the owner that not only will it destroy everyone's props (As well as my entire boat), that he could kill someone. He doesn't seem to have any sort of urgency as he thinks it is an "inconvenience". They don't realize that it will kill people.
Well I'd suggest maybe showing him this thread.. Here's another example I just encountered....
Frayed wiring scrutinized in fatal electrocution at Grainger County marina
2nd child dies from electrocution
BEAN STATION - The boys worshipped together, went to school together and played together - right up to the moment a shock wave coursed through the waters of Cherokee Lake.
Authorities spent Thursday searching for the cause of the freak Fourth of July electrical accident that killed two boys at the German Creek Marina off Muscogee Lane. Investigators ruled out any problems with the electrical meter at the dock and have focused their attention on frayed wiring aboard the houseboat floating beside the boys when the shock hit them, Grainger County Sheriff Scott Layel said.
"We did find some frayed electrical wiring under some steps on the boat," Layel said. "That could be a factor, and that's obviously something that will be looked at during the investigation."
Meanwhile, family members of the boys spent the day struggling to understand.
Noah Winstead, the 10-year-old son of Todd and Jessica Winstead of Morristown, died from the shock. His 11-year-old friend, Nate Lynam, was pronounced dead after being on life support Thursday night at East Tennessee Children's Hospital in Knoxville, authorities said.
"To be honest with you, I didn't sleep a wink last night," Layel said. "I've got three children of my own the same ages as these children, and I just can't imagine what these families are going through."
The boys attended Cornerstone Academy in Morristown, where their parents belong to First Baptist Church. The church kept its sanctuary open Thursday for anyone willing to come pray for the boys and their families.
"Noah loved life, and he lived it to the fullest," said his grandmother Priscilla Mills. "He had many friends and was always the life of the party. Anybody who had anything to do with him always came away with a smile."
The houseboat belongs to Nate Lynam's grandfather, Michael Voccola, 58, of Morristown, said Matt Cameron, spokesman for the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency. The boys were swimming between that boat and another tied at the dock around 2:20 p.m. when the shock apparently hit them as they played near a metal ladder on Voccola's boat.
"The children were swimming and began screaming," the sheriff said. "At first everyone thought maybe they were being stung or snake-bit. Everyone began to jump in and attempt to save them."
Five people, including Voccola; his wife, Denise, 55; and Nate Lynam's parents, Travis Lynam, 37, and Kelly Lynam, 35, jumped in the water to help and suffered shocks as well. Paul Worley, a family friend visiting from California, leapt in despite the electric current and a heart condition.
"One gentleman said he was so paralyzed (by the current) he went under maybe three or four feet," the sheriff said.
Worley told investigators he felt the current stop the moment someone on the houseboat tripped a breaker to shut off the boat's power.
"He pulled away from the current and helped pull one of the boys to another nearby boat," said Cameron, the TWRA spokesman.
The adults were treated at Lakeway Regional Hospital in Morristown. Noah's grandmother offered them her thanks Thursday.
"It takes a very special kind of person to forget about their own safety and do that," she said.
Nate Lynam's 8-year-old sister was also swimming in the water and suffered minor injuries from the shock, authorities said. She was treated at East Tennessee Children's Hospital.
Both boys wore life vests. Emergency workers revived Nate and carried him by helicopter to Knoxville.
The dock remained open Thursday, with the houseboat floating quietly in the same spot as the day before. Crime-scene tape covered the rails decked in red, white and blue for the holiday. Life vests and children's toys littered the decks.
An electrical investigator from the state fire marshal's office in Nashville arrived Thursday afternoon to inspect the boat, and TWRA officials expect a nationally certified boating inspector to arrive today. All eyewitness accounts so far point to the boat as the source of the current, officials said.
"It looks like the electrical field was on the surface of the water, very near the houseboat," Cameron said.
The sheriff said boaters sometimes mistakenly use household wiring for electrical work, rather than the specialized wiring recommended for boats.
"These tragedies are rare, but they do happen," Layel said. "In 25 years (of law enforcement), I've never seen anything like this. If the breaker hadn't been pulled, we probably would be looking at more deaths."
A similar accident the same day electrocuted two children - a 13-year-old girl and her 8-year-old brother - as they swam near a private dock at Lake of the Ozarks in southern Missouri. The cause of that fatal shock remains under investigation as well.
Source: Knoxville News Sentinel
Let's face it folks if we suspect safety issues that could prove fatal or disabling it really is our duty to correct it if it's our problem or report it to the Marina Dock-master to get it documented and corrected if it's someone else,s problem, as jtalberts posted above.
Respect Our Outdoor Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "Footprints in the Sand"
2003 5.3 Chevy P/U
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha